PDA

View Full Version : Any Oregon available in Perth WA

matan
7th April 2008, 10:29 PM
I would like to find some oregon in useable sizes in perth. 27 years ago i fitted out a boat with the oregon from the dingo flour mill on the sterling highway 9 the one where the sign was reputedly painted by Allen Bond). there were shutes made of oregon that was approx 300 by 25. we were able to use it in so many ways, though some had been sandblasted by the flour so that the grain was raised.
i would like some baulks or sized lengths for trim.

autogenous
7th April 2008, 10:32 PM
I saw some used on a roof the other day so it maybe worth looking at the roofing centres depending on the sizes you want?

They had used them in place of pine because there wasn't any pine available in that size.

Mickj
11th April 2008, 12:56 PM
I was in Morgan Timbers the other day, and they said that there was a shipment coming in very soon. A lot of it had already been pre-sold, so I guess you have get in there quick.
This weekend I'll be picking up some that I found in the Quokka.
There is a fair bit of recycled stuff around, you just have to be quick.

Cheers

Mick

Dyf Nurgler
11th April 2008, 11:46 PM
I have also seen Oregon at Morgans however they didn't have the lengths I required for the spars so they directed me to ... I think it was WA ladder supplies or something like that in Armadale. I never did go any further then their website and subsequently purchased Hoop Pine for my spars from Austim in Wangara.
My understanding is that Hoop is a good substitute for Oregon and about 50% cheaper. I shall wait to be corrected on that part.

TimTeach
19th July 2012, 07:53 PM
I know this is an old thread but I'm trying to source some Oregon in Perth and I'm not having much luck. Austim are all out of 1" stock and I don't know of anywhere else. Is hoop pine a suitable substitute? If not what is the best substitute? I'm building a 16 foot ski boat so strength is pretty important!

AndrewPatrol
22nd July 2012, 11:32 AM
Tim, I found some at a recycle yard over here in Melb (dunno any Perth ones) but you have to be patient to find the right stuff quality wise. If you look at other threads on this forum you might find info about substitute timbers
Andrew

westford
7th August 2012, 05:20 PM
Google Whale Carver in Perth, I believe he has Oregon . I am going to see him this week so ring 0408927844 and I will see if he has what you want.