PDA

View Full Version : can i build a full lounge suit reasonablely price wise

z7eightball
8th April 2008, 12:11 AM
What do I need to know if I want to build a lounge suit. Is it worth it how much is leather and were doi buy it from.

neilb
8th April 2008, 11:23 PM
There are a lot of technical details and info that need to be looked at if you have never done this type of job before. Particularly in the area of frame work positioning and then the question of the different foam grades and then finally, the covering choices. You will also need a few special tools and more than likely, access to an industrial sewing machine.

It would be a good idea to get an old chair similar to what you have in mind from the dump maybe and strip it down to see how it is constructed, taking note of the angles and positioning of all the rails. The older style chairs are better for this purpose.

Also try and buy all the upholstery needs from a trade supply warehouse or otherwise you may end up spending more than buying a new suite. I dont know if there are any in Rockhampton but look in your local yellow pages under " Upholstering Supplies" or even "Motor Trimming Supplies".

Leather is the most expensive of all the coverings, apart from exclusive specialty imported fabrics, so be warned. Howe Leather is a very good brand of leather , you can get Cow hide, Deer hide, Buffalo hide and quite a few others. Rocky might be a bit hot and sticky in the summer for Leather. Thats just my opinion. Leather is naturally hot in the summer and cold in the winter but if looked after properly can outlast any other covering.
Good luck. :2tsup:
Neil

joe greiner
9th April 2008, 08:12 PM
It would be a good idea to get an old chair similar to what you have in mind from the dump maybe and strip it down to see how it is constructed, taking note of the angles and positioning of all the rails. The older style chairs are better for this purpose.Neil

I second the motion. If you don't get the dimensions right, seating could be torture. You might get used to it, but your occasional guests won't.

Joe

z7eightball
10th April 2008, 10:45 PM
Thank you for that guys you have been so helpful are there any plans available for suits what tools would have to have

Pulse
10th April 2008, 11:12 PM
You can't do it yourself for a good price. I started 6 years ago.

welded steel frame
6mm MDF covering on arms and back
125mm dunlop enduro foam
heaps of poly fill
The springs are hard to find

So far the cost is over $1000 for two sofas and an ottoman.

Overall you pay retail for materials, you can't compete with furniture makers in terms of volume.

That's why the project is on the shelf

Cheers
Pulse

Honorary Bloke
11th April 2008, 08:06 AM
Thank you for that guys you have been so helpful are there any plans available for suits what tools would have to have

Norm Abram has tackled this and offers a plan for a Cigar chair which would give you enough info for all the others. Look here:

http://www.newyankee.com/getproduct.php?0304

Also, a somewhat simpler Morris chair here:

http://www.newyankee.com/getproduct.php?9806

HTH:)

Jim Carroll
11th April 2008, 08:45 AM
We just recovered our lounge suit of 2 3 seater couches.
Material cost $500.00 and this is a proper material for couches.

We had all the tools, air stapler, air bradder, electric screwdriver, industrial sewing machine and the blond who has done a couple of these over time and about 30 years experience on an industrial sewing machine.

To do in leather is harder because you have to know where to stretch the material and where to let is stay a bit looser.

Unless you know what you are doing dont bother.

neilb
13th April 2008, 08:31 AM
I second the above post. Like I said in my first reply, there are a lot of technical bits and pieces which you need to know and apply, and particularly to working with leathers. :?

If you dont, you proceed at your own perilous cost, but if you do the research into ALL facets, both actual hands on know-how and buying at the right places, and are determined to get it right, good luck you might do well. :D
Neil.

pharmaboy2
13th April 2008, 09:49 AM
Why make a lounge suit when you get chinese made ones so cheap from Lowes, Myers etc?

:D