PDA

View Full Version : Central Coast woodies

Dirty Den
22nd January 2004, 12:28 PM
Is there anyone on the centarl coast with a band saw that can let me cut two pieces. My latest project has hit brick wall unless I can scrounge some help!!
If there is some kind hearted soul please email me at [email protected]
Im cutting kwilla and the boards are clean ie no metal.
Thanks in anticipation.

Dennis

Rocker
22nd January 2004, 05:04 PM
Dennis,

I know this is going to ruin my reputation as an adherent of Norm's, but you could use a coping saw. For several years, being of Scottish extraction, I was too tight to buy myself a bandsaw, and I cut out the back legs of about ten chairs that I made during that time with a coping saw. It was tedious work, but it can be done.

Rocker

Dirty Den
22nd January 2004, 05:28 PM
I thought of it and dismissed the idea out of hand. The pieces I need to cut are 38mm thick and 1000mm long. I might look like rent-a-gorilla but that is beyond the call of duty!

oges
22nd January 2004, 05:35 PM
Dennis,
If you join the Central Coast Woodturners group (you dont need to be a turner, we have scrollers and carvers in group too). We have a work shop up at Kariong (Mt Penang park lands) with lathes and bandsaws and other machinery you can use for a $2 fee. Mondays and Fridays are the days it is open I believe.

The group meets the first friday of the month at The Entrance High School or whatever they call it these days. Come along and see if you like it.

Brett

DarrylF
22nd January 2004, 08:23 PM
Dennis,

If you want to do it this weekend or next, and you can deal with a trip to Lakehaven you're welcome to cut them on my bandsaw. It's a 12", but handles most things.

arose62
22nd January 2004, 09:41 PM
There are enough Bunnings stores around that you could ask to "test drive" a few bandsaw models .....

Cheers,
Andrew

Sir Stinkalot
22nd January 2004, 09:53 PM
Not much of a range to choose from at my Bunnies .... the tiny benchtop GMC or Ryobi :D

Dirty Den
23rd January 2004, 12:27 PM
Thanks for all the replies. I got it done and Im up and running again.

Dennis