PDA

View Full Version : Eave board - Unique Design.

Dr - 307
9th April 2008, 12:14 PM
Anyone know where I can get eave board to match this - 70830 ?

Cheers,
Dr - 307.

malb
9th April 2008, 07:20 PM
Looks like a stirated sheet fibro. Last I had to do with them was about 1970 when I was helping someone do their ceiling with it over exposed beams and under a tray roof.

Haven't had a need to look for it since, so don't know if it was produced for much longer. If it is the 1970 style stuff,
a, it will be asbestos based.
b, it was very brittle even when new and prone to cracking along the scorelines as it gets down to about 2mm thick in the deeper grooves. Was dastedly stuff to pass up to the ceiling, any flex would split it lengthways.

By the way, with patterning like that, one would probably expect the corner to be done as a mitre rather than a right angle wouldn't they?

echnidna
9th April 2008, 09:36 PM
Hardies may still make a similar non astbestos sheet.
Otherwise use flat sheet and render it.

Dr - 307
10th April 2008, 08:08 AM
Thanks guys.
Near the sliding door entrance there is a big hole where a sparky used his hammer to smash through the eave board. At the time it didn't matter because the previous owners had a little verandah with a 'dummy' ceiling which covered that particular area where the hole is but we've now ripped the verandah down and exposed the hole and need to patch it up.

I'll give Hardie a go. If not we'll render as suggested.

Cheers,
Doc.

Dr - 307
12th April 2008, 09:16 AM
Just a follow up.....

Hardie said that that design is not theirs and couldn't help me with a similar pattern.

I think we'll use ordinary cement sheet and frame it neatly.

Cheers,
Dr - 307.

malb
12th April 2008, 08:10 PM
If it's the stuff I mentioned, you would be hard pressed to match it by rendering as the sheet has a nominal thickness of 1/4in and is grooved down to well under 1/8th. To try and replicate with render, I'm thinking you would need to start with a thin substrate and build up with render as the render can only add thickness, not remove it.

Dr - 307
16th April 2008, 08:32 AM
We're going with some ply board and framing it. It's near a power source so it's an idea to make it removable to take power from there anyway.

Cheers,
Dr - 307.