PDA

View Full Version : Vinyl wrap panels

John G
22nd January 2004, 04:17 PM
I am looking for someone who can supply vinyl wrap panels for a bathroom/kithchen cabinet.

Can someone recommend a good source (in Melbourne)?

For cabinets, making the melamine carcasses is dead simple, but the vinyl wrap doors, drawer fronts and side panels are more difficult to do.

I have obviously thought about kitchen suppliers, but in another thread (http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/showthread.php?s=&threadid=5813) it is suggested that most of these just outsource the panels to someone. STURDEE has mentioned there is someone in Melbourne who does it, but he doesn't say who. I will also try Parbury, but I'm not sure if they sell to the public.

John.

Sturdee
22nd January 2004, 05:37 PM
John I did not mention the name as I am not certain of it and in any case the poster of that query resided in NSW.

The one I referred to used to advertise on 3AW during Neil Mitchell's morning show and I think they were called " Kitchen Facelifts" or something similar.

They advertised that rather than replacing a complete kitchen they would do a make over by replacing benchtops and door and drawer fronts. I have never used them so I can not recommend them. I hope this helps.

Peter.

pjk
22nd January 2004, 08:34 PM
I have just got quotes from Polytech and Laminex for White Gloss finish doors/panels for my kitchen and vanity - I just faxed in my door sizes and got replies within a day or so.

According to my brochure Polytech in Vic are on 03 9761 7771 Phone/ 9761 7741 fax. I just called Laminex on 132 136 and it put me through to the nearest supplier in Orange.

PJK

seriph1
23rd January 2004, 07:47 AM
Wilson and Bradley are a principle supplier of fittings and hardware to the cabinet making industry - situated in Bell Street Preston.

The guy I always deal with there is a Greek chap named Peter (sorry, no idea even after 12 yrs what his surname is.....but ya get that) but all the guys there are very knowledgeable and helpful.....they dont supply what you are after, though I believe they would be able to direct you.

hope this helps

MF3106
23rd January 2004, 02:01 PM
In Melbourne try the following:-

Allboards in Bayswater Ph 9729-9011 or Nicopol.

Hope this helps

Sturdee
23rd January 2004, 07:51 PM
I also shop regularly at Wilson and Bradley and I fully support Seriph1's comments.

Just a point to bear in mind is their quantity pricing policy and it may be better to purchase more of the same item you need and get a cheaper unit price and save overall.

For example last year I needed 60 D-handles but I bought 101 handles instead and although I had 41 handles too many I still saved approx $ 20 on this purchase.

Today I went there to get 20 small hinges which would have cost $ 33.66 however after enquiring I bought 22 hinges for a cost of $ 24.96 a saving of $ 8.70.

Peter.

Shane Watson
23rd January 2004, 10:43 PM
I wasn't going to ring into this, but.....

Vinyl wrap doors / panels etc are the center of many MAJOR law suits both in Aust, Europe & US because of the poor quality of product and product life. Go and ask any self respecting cabinet maker who ain't in it for the money and he'll tell the truth about this stuff.

Glad I never invested several hundred thousand into the machinery to do this when it was first coming into the aust market place several years ago.

seriph1
26th January 2004, 07:56 PM
http://www.armstrongs.com.au/PDF%20Files%20for%20Web%20Site/hardformdoors.pdf