PDA

View Full Version : Turned tapestry frame

powderpost
9th April 2008, 10:33 PM
After our last club meeting, over a few coldies, a discussion was had about spindle turning. One argument was that spindles were part of a job e.g. legs for tables or chairs or candle sticks etc. I reckoned it was possible to come up with a complete job, completely made from spindles without square stock or face plate turned bases. Any way this is my answer to the challenge. All the pieces were turned between centres.
It is made from black walnut with silver ash 'nuts'. These 'nuts' are used to tighten the tapestry during use. Although tapestry frames are not new, the design details are my own. This one is de-mountable and can be hidden under the bed if needed.
The frame measures 750mm from floor to frame height so it can be used as an independent piece of furniture.
Do you reckon this qualifies as spindle turning?
First photo is the finished piece
Second Photo is a detail of the top of the leg
Third photo is the bottom of the leg
Fourth photo is the adjustment for tightening the tapestry.
Jim

ss_11000
9th April 2008, 11:22 PM
your a very smart man Jim.

i rekon your right:2tsup:

coffenup
9th April 2008, 11:48 PM
another great master piece jim
regards michael
:wave:

TTIT
10th April 2008, 12:01 AM
Damn fine bit of work Jim - classical look for a classic tool :2tsup:

......... and the timber is??? .....

hughie
10th April 2008, 05:36 PM
Ditto to all the above. :2tsup:

artme
10th April 2008, 06:21 PM
What more can be said than to echo all of the above?!!:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

powderpost
10th April 2008, 08:56 PM
Vern, it is black walnut and silver ash nuts.
Jim

Woodlee
10th April 2008, 09:06 PM
Looks spindly to me.
Nice job , really noice.

Kev.

joe greiner
10th April 2008, 09:13 PM
Of course it's spindle turning. And damn fine spindle turning, at that. How did you cut the threads? Hand cut? Threading die? Thread chaser at speed? (I've not yet made the last method work myself.)

Joe

Ad de Crom
10th April 2008, 10:38 PM
I'm agree with Joe, very fine spindle turning, excellent work, makes me jealous.

powderpost
10th April 2008, 11:12 PM
Thanks you all for the nice comments.
Joe, the threads were cut with a tap and die designed for cutting threads on wood. I wrestled with the thread chaser system, but couldn't master it, at least not yet, but will continue to try. I think the chaser system might be a bit fine for this application. The box die I used cut a really nice thread. I had to touch the cutter up a couple of times though. The threads were a bit firm so I applied a bit of EEE paste and worked the nuts up and down the threads. They freed up beautifully and the EEE did an excellent job of polishing the threads at the same time.
Jim

littlebuddha
11th April 2008, 03:32 AM
Okay okay its a nice bit of work:2tsup: you have now got me into bother as my wife seen it and is now bitting at me to make her on just the same, so know i have to get and make one:doh: as if i haven't got enough to do.
It is a really nice piece though love the design and it looks very well done to. And yes makes a nice bit of furniture to..LB

lubbing5cherubs
12th April 2008, 08:49 AM
Mate great job again. Your work is always such a pleasure to see. Great job
Toni

Mrs Woodpecker
12th April 2008, 10:41 AM
Stunning work!! :2tsup::2tsup:
Cheers Shirley

powderpost
19th October 2008, 09:46 PM
Good news!!! Just found out the turned tapestry frame won an award for spindle turning. Pretty chuffed about that...
Jim

RETIRED
19th October 2008, 09:56 PM
You bewdy mate.:)

powderpost
19th October 2008, 10:01 PM
Thanks ... :)

Ed Reiss
19th October 2008, 11:02 PM
Way too clever, way too nice!!

Damn good work!!!:2tsup::2tsup:

TTIT
19th October 2008, 11:27 PM
Onya Jim:2tsup: Would that have been at Ravenshoe??? I wanted to get there but all the usual obstacles popped up :C

Texian
20th October 2008, 02:57 PM
Of course it's spindle turning. And damn fine spindle turning, at that.

Ditto what Joe said.

Manuka Jock
20th October 2008, 03:07 PM
and if that ain't spindle turning , its the finest precision hand carved piece that I ever saw :D

Jim , thats a work of art mate :2tsup:
I'm looking forward to seeing the fruit of the loom :U