PDA

View Full Version : Vicmarc Question

ss_11000
9th April 2008, 11:24 PM
on a vl200 or vl300.

how do you turn out board?

where the hand wheel is on the left side of the headstcok - is that another spindle, on which you can turn outboard with the lathe in reverse or something???

thanx in advance

cheers

DJ’s Timber
9th April 2008, 11:46 PM
where the hand wheel is on the left side of the headstcok - is that another spindle, on which you can turn outboard with the lathe in reverse or something???

That is correct Stirlo, mount the faceplate or chuck as normal and put the lathe in reverse. Don't have a picture showing a piece mounted outboard, I'll take one for your next time if you want to see one.

ss_11000
9th April 2008, 11:48 PM
ta DJ. photo would be nice but dont go out of your way to do it:)

Toasty
12th April 2008, 09:14 AM
Stirlo,

Look at your lathe, pretend the wood is mounted on the other side of the headstock and you are turning from the OTHER side of the lathe.

One thing to keep in mind with outboard turning on non-swivel head lathes is you need the ROOM to use them because you are typically now standing on the other side of the lathe which if you plan to have it positioned against/near a wall you might have issues. So you need just as much work room on the left side as you do the right.

You do of course have the benefit of the bed not being in the way, so you're not forced to work in exactly the same position, but if you are wanting to get behind the lip or work the edge for truing etc, you are better to have the room than none at all.

That's why I like the swivel head on my DVR, I'm still standing on the normal side of the lathe and have room to move if I am turning larger pieces that won't swing over the bed. That said, if one day I can pony up for a VL300 or a Stubby I'll damn make sure I have got the room!!!

ss_11000
12th April 2008, 12:03 PM
good points there toasty:cool:

turnerted
12th April 2008, 05:38 PM
Stirlo
My VL200 delux has a LH thread on the outboard spindle so I have a LH insert for my chuck then the lathe is run forward. There is a grub screw on the insert which is supposed to stop it unscrewing accidently . I havn't tried it yet as I still have to sort an outboard toolrest .
ted

ss_11000
13th April 2008, 01:33 AM
thanx ted for that info. i never thought of LH and RH threads:)

DJ’s Timber
13th April 2008, 01:36 AM
Mine has a RH thread on both sides, in fact I'm pretty sure that it's standard for them all now.