PDA

View Full Version : Remote problem

Bluegum
10th April 2008, 10:17 PM
A mate of mine asked me last night if its possible to change the frequency on a remote control. He recently bought a small LCD TV for his caravan. After trying it it he found that when he turned on the set with the remote control it turned on the tuner of his DVD/ surrond sound sytem. He has taken it back to the place of purchase and they were unable to help him. He asked me last night and I also have no idea on this so I thought I would put it out to the rest of us here to see if some one was able shead some light on it. The TV is an NEC so its not a cheap and nasty import which really has him stumped.

black_labb
10th April 2008, 10:39 PM
thats annoying, id suggest a forum that has a bit more related to hi fi/electronics, as most people are in here about the woodworking involved with hi fi, as opposed to those higher tech elements.

petersemple
11th April 2008, 12:21 PM
We get the same thing with the stereo and the DVD player. The menu button on the DVD mutes the stereo. One of the arrows alters the volume as well. I don't think there's much you can do beyond replacing one of the units. It's not really about the frequency from what I can tell. They all use IR. The signals are digital, and if the two units happen to use the same digital code for some functions then you are out of luck.

Peter

malb
11th April 2008, 12:40 PM
As per Peter, they are mostly infared light systems. Sometimes the codings match other gear as well. If he bought the LCD for the van, is he planning on running the home theatre in the van as well, or was this just while he was testing at home? Obviously, if the LCD is in the van and the HT isn't, there won't be a problem.

Basically, there is no real standard that says encoding pattern .... will do function ,,,, on device type ????, so manufacturers develop their own patterns and applications, and ensure that they don't clash within their product line. Overall safest solution may be to run units from the same brand together to integrate a system, but then thats what the manufactures want.

Bluegum
11th April 2008, 04:43 PM
Thanks for that as its something I had never heard of before either. It sounds like its one of lifes more baffling mysteries I think. i will pass on your comments to him.

Master Splinter
11th April 2008, 09:08 PM
Depending on where the TV/stereo are placed, you may be able to shield the IR receiver on the stereo to narrow down its field of view so you don't get unintended operation.

The IR receiver diode will usually be behind some very dark red (practically black) plastic. Use some insulation tape to reduce the size of the window that the receiver is looking through so that you have to be more accurate with aiming the remote.

You'll have to play around to find the right size, which will also be dependant on how far apart the TV/stereo are; the closer they are together, the smaller the window has to be...in drastic cases you may even need to make a cardboard shield to narrow the acceptance angle even more.

A bit of a pain, yes, but at least it lets you still use the remote!

GraemeCook
12th April 2008, 03:30 PM
Dave; Tell your mate to be green and switch off electronic gear at the power point when not in use and the problem will go away. He'll also save a surprising amount of electric $$$$'s and reduce the risk of fire significantly.

Incidentally, years ago we had an extremely annoying neighbour and my remote would switch off her TV. Lovely! :no:

Cheers

Graeme

Bluegum
12th April 2008, 03:49 PM
Incidentally, years ago we had an extremely annoying neighbour and my remote would switch off her TV. Lovely! :no:

LOL Now that would be a thing I reckon we could all have a bit of fun doing.:o

Zaphod
16th April 2008, 04:28 PM
A mate of mine asked me last night if its possible to change the frequency on a remote control. He recently bought a small LCD TV for his caravan. After trying it it he found that when he turned on the set with the remote control it turned on the tuner of his DVD/ surrond sound sytem. He has taken it back to the place of purchase and they were unable to help him. He asked me last night and I also have no idea on this so I thought I would put it out to the rest of us here to see if some one was able shead some light on it. The TV is an NEC so its not a cheap and nasty import which really has him stumped.

Short answer - No
Long answer - You don't want to know. (Way too expensive)

seafurymike
16th April 2008, 06:06 PM
You could get a programmable remote, which would allow you to program the major function keys for both units and do away with the other 2 independent ones. They have selector buttons on top and it's just a matter of selecting the device you want to use and then use the keys below as you would normally.

You can change frequencies, etc as they are a chip which sets up the frequency. too complex for most woodies.

malb
16th April 2008, 06:34 PM
You could get a programmable remote, which would allow you to program the major function keys for both units and do away with the other 2 independent ones. They have selector buttons on top and it's just a matter of selecting the device you want to use and then use the keys below as you would normally.

You can change frequencies, etc as they are a chip which sets up the frequency. too complex for most woodies.

Sorry SFM, but to change anything you would need to change both the remote transmiter and the remote reciever built into the equipment.

A programable remote will either have the patterns for a lot of different devices programmed into it, or be capable of learning specific patterns by reading the patterns from the original remotes. The device selector buttons are just there to tell it which pattern set to use. Once the pattern set is selected, it will send the same pattern as the original transmitter would, or the reciever couldn't decode it.

Zaphod
16th April 2008, 08:28 PM

Too complex for any sane person to be bothered with. Woodies are too smart to be bothered. They'd just get to change channels, or buy a new set.