PDA

View Full Version : work injuries

yojimbo
11th April 2008, 02:50 AM
Anyone have experience with lay-offs due to work injuries (or any injury that keeps you from working)?

I'm near the end of one job, have another waiting patiently for me (and some others as well, but not as time-sensitive), another starting May 3rd, and I'm going nuts, having been told total rest is what I need to do.

Am looking for sanity tools. If it were a leg injury, I'd be cleaning up and conditioning old tools I've bought. But it's my right (dominant side) shoulder. Am fairly ambidextrous, but still...

Need some bizarre wood-related activity that only involves my left side. I realize I can't be useful, but maybe there's something I can pass a little time at that's still woodwork, and maybe even develops an unlikely skill?

Goin' nuts...

Thanks,
Becky

Sheets
11th April 2008, 04:28 AM
Yojimbo (Becky),

Since you work with Japanese tools, you can use you feet to hold boards for sawing (using low horses or anything to just elevate the wood enough to clear the saw stroke) and using a planing board flat on the floor (or ground) you can plane (provided the item to be planed isn't longer than you can reach). Not that this would be easy, but I think you can find something to make. Not too thick a board since sawing with one arm would be really difficult. Also, if using chisels or knives, be VERY careful with one hand. Make sure the edge is always pushed away from you since you will lack control if it slips. I don't mean to insult your intelligence, but you don't want to risk cutting yourself.
You'll be limited to making things with flat edges since you can't probably hold or clamp things to manipulate curves very well. Also, joinery might be out of the question (or left until your right arm is usable again).
I realize all this is basic and perhaps not very helpful. I've not had to try things totally one-handed, so I'm just trying to envision.

Good luck,

Steve

yojimbo
12th April 2008, 01:32 AM
Thanks, Steve,

Not a bad thought at all. I've worked that way two-handed, and it just didn't occur to me to try it now with my left hand. As long as I brace my back against something so there's not too much torque on that shoulder, it should work.

Cool thinking. Much gratitute!

Best,
Becky