PDA

View Full Version : Carving chisel selection

Harry II
23rd January 2004, 09:11 PM
I'm thing of doing some large scale carving and welcome your suggestions of type, range and maker of carving chisels. Also advise regarding requirement of sharpening such tools.

multinut
24th January 2004, 09:11 AM
harry II
depending on how large a scale carving you are intending on doing would be the answer on what tools to get
I start my larger type carvings with a chainsaw (solo 300mm bar with tapered end )and get the overall basic shape (high danger factor)
i should actually get an arbortech for my angle grinder so i can have a bit more control of the tool
i then use carving chisels (pfeil) to shape the rest of the carving and to define the finer details
pfeil carving chisels may be a bit pricey but they are worth it
they come allready sharpened and have a very good edge
before i start to carve with them i strop them on a leather strop to ensure i have a good sharp edge
i also keep all my chisels in a chisel roll and wipe any swet off them before i put them back - this is to stop any corrosion on the blades that can lead to pitting and could ruin my chisels
i may be a bit perdantic but i like my chisels
hope this helps
cheers
multinut
:) ;) :)

Harry II
24th January 2004, 10:14 AM
Thanks for the reply post Multinut.

Just trying to feel my way through the large carving caper.

I've already posted a question on the use of a chainsaw to roughly shape down a large project and was still in two minds if it was the right tool to use especially if I valued life and limb.

Thoughts like "no guts, no glory", "fortune favours the brave" come to mind. Some say don't do it, some say do it with heaps of caution, namely "don't use the top 90 degrees of the tip". I would definately find a certified coarse to get some good habits on using the chainsaw tho. I was curious about what you meant by "taper", can you explain?

By the way, I have an Abortech and consider it a great tool to remove wood with ease but imagined the chainsaw a better option to cut large shapes out, especially "negative" shapes like the space between a persons legs when standing etc.

All this comes about because I want to do a ships figure head of a mermaid with wings but like its been washed a shore after a time in the sea. This project is influenced by the memory of a wooden wing I saw displayed in Hobart that had been found as driftwood on a beach on the southern coast.

Harry II
24th January 2004, 10:29 AM
got of the track there a bit, oh yeah, about the chisels, I have done some small scale carving and have a few pfiel's (bent gouges) and a team of Flexicut chisels which get me by well. I Haven't really got stuck into anything large scale and thought that the requirements of a chisel to stand up to large scale work would be different to small scale. I know this could get expensive so I'm aiming to start with a basic set, firstly with a chisel(s) to do the "heavy" wood removals, any suggestions appreciated.

multinut
25th January 2004, 10:14 AM
Harry II
1st of all with the chainsaw
i coachbolt the log onto an old 4x4 spare wheel so there is no movement or very little whilst cutting

multinut
25th January 2004, 10:18 AM
Harry II
as for the taper i mentioned on the bar

multinut
25th January 2004, 10:25 AM
another view of the taper

glenn k
25th January 2004, 11:56 AM
I do a lot of my work with similar saws Stihl 020T or new version 200T with 300mm bar. This work is done up trees sometimes in difficult positions where a rear handle is not practical.
On the ground I use saws with a rear handle you have plenty of room so why not use a safer saw? You have much more chance of controling kick back with a rear handle.
I used chainsaws lots of times when building my house. They are fast you don't need leads they cut, plane, allow you to adjust miters by cutting both pieces at the same time. Can get into places that other saws can't, can cut 4"x4" or bigger in one cut.
I've been using chainsaws most days for the past 30 years and only cut my self once it was carelessness but they make big holes very quickly.
They are great tools but use with respect you can not put gaurds over the chain. The other thing is if you are going to carve with the tip make sure the saw doesn't have an anti-kickback chain or non cut chains as a lot of people call them.

multinut
26th January 2004, 09:32 AM
Harry II / glenn k
glenn is correct - it is a tree lopers chainsaw but is also usefull for cutting motices for fence posts
always be in control of your tools
as for another good method of heavy wood removal
i use my 40mm butt chisel
cheers
multinut
:) ;) :)