PDA

View Full Version : Huon Pine mini bowl

lubbing5cherubs
12th April 2008, 12:56 AM
Hi I finally got to get covered in saw dust. This is my first bowl solo since I did the turner course here to learn to make more than pens. I am pleased on the inside I got nice sanding job. So very happy with that too. It felt so nice just to play. this is the outcome. Love to know your thoughts
Toni
Sorry about the quality. I took them with a webcam. Camera on the boat with hubby and he is out fishing.

oldiephred
12th April 2008, 09:11 AM
In this area those bowls would sell as fast as you could make them, especially at folk art sales. I think that as far as critique goes , the maker usually can see more flaws than most and knows how to correct them.
Very nice work.

Frank&Earnest
13th April 2008, 12:35 AM
Very nice, Toni. Tell your hubby that if he has not photographed at least a 10 pound fish , next time you keep the camera for your work!:)

lubbing5cherubs
14th April 2008, 08:19 PM
Thank you oldiefred and frank.

yeah right Frank, Can't do too much fishing that might interupt his boating time. He loves crabbing more because you can keep moving in the boat, especially as we do not know what fish is fish. Got to remember my husband is an outback person all his life so he is just enjoying playing we are still learning.
Toni

mick61
14th April 2008, 08:51 PM
Hi you could try eboniseing the bowl edges rather than burning it might give a neater finish.
Mick:D

lubbing5cherubs
14th April 2008, 08:57 PM
HI Mick, How do you ebonise?
Toni

robyn2839
14th April 2008, 10:36 PM
another way to do the edges is to hold the rag hard on the rim and it will darken evenly as it burns a black mark ,due to the extreme friction , looks more uniform and then your shellawax or whatever. gives a nice result..............bob

Ad de Crom
15th April 2008, 12:40 AM
Toni, if this is the first time you turned a bowl, than you did it very well.
Can hardly wait to see the next.
Well I'm a fisherman too, but never take my camera with me.

Ad :2tsup:

Simomatra
15th April 2008, 08:49 AM
Nice work Toni, a lot of fun heh! I think the eboniser is the stuff below from

http://www.newagemultimedia.com/woodwork/news.html

http://www.newagemultimedia.com/woodwork/images/P9290017.jpg

wheelinround
15th April 2008, 03:34 PM
:2tsup: nice work Toni

Skew ChiDAMN!!
15th April 2008, 03:51 PM
Yup. Nice work.

Personally, I'd also have charred the rim on the lathe if I was going for that effect - the pyrography tool is a bit hit'n'miss.

With Huon Pine I wouldn't use an Ebonising mix 'cos the wood is so oily that the results come out very patchy... but for other, non-oily woods it'd be the way to go.

Like anything, ya gotta match the method to what you're doing. It looks like you're well on the way to working out for yourself which methods work on what. :; Keep on experimenting!

BernieP
15th April 2008, 06:57 PM
G'Day Toni

That's a nice bowl, love to see a little group of similar ones all sitting together, would be very effective. Just a thought.

Cheers
Bernie

OGYT
17th April 2008, 06:00 AM
Cheers, Toni. Good job. Woodburning - a dying art - is making a comeback here in the upover. I've thought about doing a little woodburnin' on something that didn't have pretty grain... but I don't have the guts and I shake too much!
Some folks make their own ebonizer by putting 0000 steel wool in a cup of vinegar for a day or two, then strain it. When you put it on the wood, it reacts to the tannins in the wood, turning it blackish. Works better on oak than it would on some others, due to there being more tannin in the oak.
Like your bowl.

Little Festo
17th April 2008, 09:13 AM
Hello Toni,

Great first effort. Don't wait too long to turn the next bowl. Have you done much pyrography?? I use it to burn texture rims etc, a bit time consuming but will keep you off the streets at night. All I do is burn closely packed dots. I cut two grooves with the skew (approx 5-6mm apart - could do the wider if you wish but remember you increase the amount of "dotting" to fill the wider strip) to set the boundries, burn the grooves with a bit of wire for extra seperation then fill the enclosed strip with the dots. It can actually look like a leather inlay if you do it properly. Do the pyrography before you apply any finish.

I will post a photo of a Hoop pine pot with a thin pyro textured strip around the spout/rim.

Keep bowl and vessels coming - Peter

Hardenfast
17th April 2008, 08:48 PM
And away we go Toni. No stopping you now - hubby can go fishing whenever he likes.

Excellent work - I like it. As OGYT has said, you don't see too much pyrography around these days, but I think it finishes your piece nicely.

Looking forward to some WIP next time - if you can get the camera back.

Wayne

lubbing5cherubs
17th April 2008, 09:48 PM
Thanks Sam and Ray

SKEW:- Yep I love experimenting nothing gained if nothing ventured and it all a learning curve isn't it.

OGYT:- Thank you. Don't let your shaking hold you back. Make it a character rather than flaw. They are pretty forgiving.

LITTLE FESTO:- Thanks, no I can't say that I have done a lot of pyrography yet I got it for christmas and I enjoy it very much.

HARDENFAST:- Wayne as for hubby going fishing when he likes he does. LOL. He has 5 keen kids that will keep him fishing. They love it too. that what stops me turning most time to take the kids we need 2 boats. a tinny and hubby boat. We got away with it til the twins birthday now they are classed as 1 to an adult rather than 2 children 1 adult this way we could all go as a family. Well when they turned 13 I had to go and get a boat licence and a small tinny so we can continue taking them all fishing. but it all fun. Spending time with the kids mum likes doing that. And they won't be around me for the rest of my life so I am going to enjoy them before they are gone.

thanks Guys
Toni