PDA

View Full Version : Help With My Research

mariavaccaro
23rd January 2004, 10:03 PM
Can anybody tell me if these words are correct in english and their proper definition and use (specifically in woodwork),
by the way thank you for your welcome!
Maria.
1)ring shake
2)to carve
3)to pickle
4)warping or bending (must be something wrong with the piece of wood I suppose)
5)milling cutter
Even if you can help me with only one definition I will definitely appreciate it!

Woodencrux
25th January 2004, 09:50 PM
Firstly, I'd always suggest trying the words/phrases in a search engine to others (even these) you have.
1. I believe this to be a separation between growth rings
2. Shaping of timber by chisels or other sharp/abbrasive means usually by hand (maybe with a powered handtool) to form a shape not easily produced by planing, sawing, turning, etc.
3. In metalwork this is an acid bath...maybe in woodwork it is the mess you get in when you take on something too far beyond your abilities! A "pickle" is the name given to such a situation here in Australia.
4. Warping is a twisting of the timber along its length - forms a slow helix. Bending is a single plane curvature of the timber - as you'd do to have a piece prepared to follow a curved corner of a wall. Also, cupping is another problem - usually seen in backsawn boards where the edges curve away from the pith of the tree.
5. A milling cutter is used to improve (smooth) a rough surface. Usually it would rotate about an axis perpendicular to the face, such as a cutter in a router.

I'm sure there will be plenty that can correct and refine the above.

Best wishes,
Alan