PDA

View Full Version : Water, water everywhere but not a boat in sight

Incoming!
12th April 2008, 07:04 PM
Sorry to intrude on hallowed ground with a non boatie question, but the blokes in the timber sub-forum thought I might get an answer here.

I'm about to build a small, outdoor Japanese bathroom, and need some timber for the wooden tub. (Wood heated)

I ran across a mention of cypress as being suitable on a US site, which surprised me a bit. It's been suggested that Cypress macrocarpa might be a suitable, less expensive local option than western red cedar or jarrah. (If I absolutely have to go with the more expensive option then I will, it'll just put the project back a couple of months)

Can I have your thoughts on timber that will stand up to being continually wet? And that hopefully won't show too much damage on the dry portion above the water line of the tub?

Many thanks

PAR
12th April 2008, 08:09 PM
Burmese Teak . . .

bloggs1968
12th April 2008, 10:14 PM
Huon

whitewood
13th April 2008, 12:01 AM
Do some of your own research on Paulownia. I am biased as I grow, mill and sell it but from my understanding it as good if not better than WRC and I sell it cheaper than WRC. Paulownia is very light in colour which is better for small confined areas.

HUON
13th April 2008, 07:59 PM
Huon pine, celery top pine, blue gum, red gum, white beech, spotted gum, tallow wood, etc.

Incoming!
14th April 2008, 07:44 AM
Thank you for that. Will do some more reading. :)

Boatmik
14th April 2008, 01:46 PM
Howdy,

If you are looking at timber that is to be kept wet - look at the traditional timbers used by Coopers in Australia.

Normally you wouldn't use glue for joining timber that is to be kept wet - so their methods would work well too.

Best wishes
Michael

Incoming!
14th April 2008, 04:57 PM
Normally you wouldn't use glue for joining timber that is to be kept wet - so their methods would work well too.

Thanks - I'm thinking knuckle joints and big steel metal hoops. I wasn't sure whether the trade of cooper was still alive and kicking - I didn't get anything on a quick google search - but will keep looking.