PDA

View Full Version : Shredding bamboo

Robbo1967
12th April 2008, 07:49 PM
Hi all,

Was wondering if anyone has tried to put bamboo through a shredder.
I have a lot of bamboo to get rid of but it is quite stringy when cut fresh, not sure how it will go through a shredder/mulcher. Any thoughts?

Also does anyone know what I can treat the soil with after I have dug up all the bamboo to stop it growing back.

I will eventually have a concrete slab and large shed where the bamboo was and dont want problems with the concrete.

Any ideas will be greatly appreciated

Rob

Barry_White
12th April 2008, 09:42 PM
On last nights Better Homes and Gardens they did a segment on shredders and he showed one that was good for shredding palm fronds which he reckoned they were fibrous and difficult to shred. I think it was the Talon petrol one but not sure. That might suit.

Fuzzie
12th April 2008, 10:10 PM
I gave up trying to shred bamboo and now just take the cut canes to the tip. I have two electric shredder and neither was up to bamboo. The old Trojan could handle a limited amount of palm fronds but a large amount of bamboo was out of the question.

I have 4/5 meter tall running bamboo coming across from my neighbours property. The best success I have had with killing bamboo is to cut the canes off 20cm above ground level and fill the stubble with a strong Roundup mix. It takes about two seasons for the left over stubble to rot down to the point where it can be pulled out of the ground easily. I haven't had any regrowth now for about 7 years.

I don't think residual herbicides are either legal or politically correct these days. Make sure you kill it first before you lay the slab. If you think you've grubbed out all the roots, leave it for a season and just spray any new growth with a strong roundup mix before you lay the slab.

Personally I'm waiting for the 1 in 100 years when bamboo flowers and dies and I'll zero everything in sight that springs up the next season.