PDA

View Full Version : MC 1000 advice

wheelinround
13th April 2008, 09:40 AM
Got offered the following lathe yesterday name my own price
It hasn't been used for some time owner past away aprox 6 years ago sons have dabbled since then but not enough.

What would you recommend as fair price.

Ray

Damn forgot photo's thanks to LOML chattin

arose62
13th April 2008, 03:25 PM
Looks more like my "GMC" lathe than my "MC1100".

The MC-series and clones have cast iron beds, and swivel heads.

The folded-metal one in the pictures looks like a twin to 2 lathes I've owned - the first cost me $129, and the second $80 - both brand new from shops.

Quite a few folks have quickly relegated this model to the bin, or taken the bed off and found another use for the motor.

My guess would be about $50.

Cheers,
Andrew

coffenup
13th April 2008, 05:31 PM
Ray
I agree with Andrew that looks like my GMC lathe. A basic entry machine with very limited uses as it is underpowered and they flex & vibrate. But if you want to try turning it is a start and see again if you like it. Dont pay more than 50 - 60 if the 4 jaw chuck comes with it.

"WARNING WOOD TURNING IS ADDICTIVE " No-one warned me of this but I am warning you.
Regards Michael

ss_11000
13th April 2008, 05:36 PM
free:cool: otherwise a carton should do ya IMO

thefixer
13th April 2008, 09:37 PM
:whs:

Even the chuck is a four jaw independant. I paid $50 for one of those when I first got my GMC. As useless as an ashtray on a motorbike.:((:((
Having said that, I turned mine into a fairly good linisher, so not a complete waste of money.

Cheers
Shorty

Pat
13th April 2008, 10:01 PM
Ray, I borrowed one of these off a mate, had to reinforce the base with 3/4" ply to try to minimise the flex. Even bolted it down to the bench 5 places, still a noticeable flex of two rails. For light duty only.

wheelinround
14th April 2008, 09:29 AM
Thanks to all

4 jaw independent chuck is useless :rolleyes: things I could do with that chuck :D :2tsup:

The worst of the deal is I have to take everything cabinet and all. :doh:

orraloon
14th April 2008, 01:53 PM
Offer $50 as others have said. It is the same as a GMC and they go for about $100 brand new. It is very basic but I have seen some nice work done on them. If it gets you started in turning then move up to something better later on. If you decide turning is not for you then you are only $50 out. The machine can be converted to a sander if you do get a better lathe later on.

Regards
John

Zarguld
14th April 2008, 02:16 PM
Looks just like my lathe ray.

Farnk
14th April 2008, 02:51 PM
I Concur!
I think that these lathes have their place, just as long as turners keep the work light and don't try and get too adventurous with them.

They are cheap to buy, built even cheaper entry level machines.

I started with a GMC, wore it out and got a new one under warranty. A year later, bought a Ledacraft off ebay and swapped the GMC to a mate for a carton of Asahi!

The GMC is still being used today.

wheelinround
14th April 2008, 03:12 PM
looking at it I keep expecting to see a Toolex sticker on it

I couldn't get in to see it LOML had to get in to take photos no hurry so I am told yet.
the fellow was an electrical engineer so motor may have been upgraded

Pat
14th April 2008, 08:11 PM
Ray, the motor is the least of the concerns. The lack of structural strength is the main problem.

wheelinround
15th April 2008, 09:31 AM
All good points all which I had considered

Ok good time to throw this one in imagine the bed being cut to 300mm length the base & bed fitted/welded to an I beam giving me a lathe I can turn just bowls on large than the 9 1/2" I am limited to with the Jet Mini

or cutting the bed to use it with an outrigger tool post set up giving maximum swing with no bed at all.

The remaining steel used to make a lathe bench for the Jet Mini

DJ’s Timber
15th April 2008, 01:15 PM
Ok good time to throw this one in imagine the bed being cut to 300mm length the base & bed fitted/welded to an I beam giving me a lathe I can turn just bowls on large than the 9 1/2" I am limited to with the Jet Mini

or cutting the bed to use it with an outrigger tool post set up giving maximum swing with no bed at all.

Wouldn't bother with this idea Ray as the motor wouldn't have enough omph to drive anything bigger than what your Mini can do.

wheelinround
15th April 2008, 01:57 PM
your right DJ

I'll just scavenge it for parts

pullies got to be worth $25 each set

motor at least $50 can turn into a buff wheel

tool rest and banjo close to $70 if I hd to buy one

Chuck to use for off centre turning $50 and spare tailstock centre and spur drive

Face plate $25

oh and the tools never have enough of those the vice $60, the jig and steel round block

Skew ChiDAMN!!
15th April 2008, 03:38 PM
Wheelin, I've owned a couple of those over the years. The first I was given (free) and the second I paid a whole $20 for - with everything yours has except the chuck.

I'm pretty sure I still have one in the shed... I'd always planned to remove the bed and convert it into a big disk linisher - simply mounting the headstock to a pedestal and a big 3'(ish) MDF/ply disk to the faceplate. I think it'd be more useful than it was as a lathe.

Wouldn't bother with this idea Ray as the motor wouldn't have enough omph to drive anything bigger than what your Mini can do.

Oh, I dunno. In essence you're right, there's not much grunt, but with good tool skills it's surprising what they'll cope with. One of mine came from an Uncle who'd turned his four-poster bed on it with the use of an ext. bed. And did a bloody nice job, I might add.

Not that I'd ever recommend anyone to buy one, though.

Even the chuck is a four jaw independant. I paid $50 for one of those when I first got my GMC. As useless as an ashtray on a motorbike.:((:((

You've no idea how wrong you are. On both counts. :;

Those chucks are GREAT for off-centre turning and holding awkwardly shaped blanks. Although if a piece comes adrift during turning, there is sweet FA chance of recentering it properly.

And an ashtray on a motorbike can be very useful in the right situation. Besides for holding your spare change, that is. :U

Try this scenario. You're scooting along and Mr Plod pulls you over for speeding. You light up a smoke while he writes out your ticket and, after he hands it to you, go to butt out your smoke. You notice that he still has his pen poised over the pad as he eyes the butt you're about to throw on the ground...

(Been there, done that. Dammit.)

HappyHammer
15th April 2008, 04:21 PM
I'd pay $50 for it and all it's bits, to use as a pen lathe or as a linisher. As you've said the bits and pieces and the motor are probably worth $50. You could use it as a linisher or a grinder, setup premanently for drilling out pen blanks etc etc....

HH.

wheelinround
16th April 2008, 09:10 AM
Thank goodness I don't do pens :doh: