PDA

View Full Version : MC900 lathe. (again)

DanP
24th January 2004, 02:57 AM
For the info of all those out there looking to buy a lathe in the lower end, Carbatec in Sydney and Bris are selling the MC900 for $319. Thats about $130 off RRP. I called Melbourne and they're matching it for me.:D Best if you can pick up, postage is a killer. $120 from Syd, $70 from Melb to Vic rural. I'll be picking mine up next week.:D :D

Dan

DarrylF
24th January 2004, 08:02 AM
Nice one ;)

Pickup sounds like a good idea - I doubt it's going to fit in your mailbox :D

col2
24th January 2004, 10:06 PM
Dan, take a mate with you - they weigh 85 kg. And a chain block or engine crane or similar will be really handy when you are mounting it on the stand.

$319 is a good price - the H&F one was $329 (I think) at the Sydney Wood Show last year. Buy a decent scroll chuck - SuperNova or Vicmark.

cheers

Colin

DanP
25th January 2004, 04:20 PM
Thanks Col.

All ready have the SuperNova. Just ordered a new insert from Jim Carroll. Can't wait to get it. I'm like a little kid on Xmas eve. The lathe I have is the GMC which is ok I suppose but I had to take the spindle out to get the blank insert drilled and tapped for the chuck and its never been the same. I can't turn pens as the play in the spindle is too great and the tolerances too fine for this kind of stuff. I've ruined several pieces of black heart sassy because of the play in the spindle. I can't seem to get it right, no matter what I try.:( I'll be cutting the bed off the GMC and converting it to a disc sander. Good thing it was cheap. I thought I'd just share the price with others who may be in the market.

All the best,

Dan