PDA

View Full Version : First bowl

coffenup
13th April 2008, 05:51 PM
Hi guys
just finished my first bowl I think I did ok especially since it was on my gmc lathe. Out of pine that I glued up to practice on. I did it with spindle gouge & scraper as I don't have a bowl gouge yet But its on my list right after the new lathe
Regards Michael

"WARNING WOOD TURNING IS ADDICTIVE "

cedar n silky
13th April 2008, 07:01 PM
Done well Michael. The finish looks good for pine, Hard to turn at the best of times without a bit of tear out.:2tsup:

Sawdust Maker
13th April 2008, 07:54 PM
Well done:2tsup:

Now you're hooked. Every tree you pass will be sized up as bowls.
You will dislike all moments spent away from the lathe.
The better half will complain that you spend more time in the shed then with her/him

welcome to the club

chrisb691
13th April 2008, 07:56 PM
You score bonus points for achieving that on a GMC...well done. :2tsup:

Ad de Crom
13th April 2008, 09:37 PM
Well done Michael, saw that it's a glue up, but it's a good use of pine.
Looks very good to me, I wonder why turners avoid using pine for turnings, I know there are different types of pine, but there are types of pine which are usable for a nice turning.
Keep up your good work !

Ad :2tsup:

BernieP
13th April 2008, 09:58 PM
G'Day Michael

Well done

Cheers
Bernie

groverwa
13th April 2008, 10:10 PM
coffenup

Well done - now you will want to up grade your lathe and tools - and you are right about woodturning being a "drug" - been out of it for a while and am getting back on it

Good luck

Mike

powderpost
13th April 2008, 10:14 PM
Hang on to this one Michael, when you have made your mark on the world this one will be very valuable... Good start, the drug is working.
Jim

coffenup
13th April 2008, 10:16 PM
AD the radiata pine tears out easily and I am using it as a practice meduim as I am turning ostrich egg stands for SWMBO. So I have a lot of left overs so I glue them up to practice. I think that using the current lathe & tools if I can get good work out of pine what will it be like when I get the better lathe & tools. I have better woods put a way for jobs will start on those timbers soon.
Regards Michael
P.S. thanks to everyone who replies

littlebuddha
13th April 2008, 10:49 PM
Michael, well done mate, the lathe you have used, nothing wrong with it as such, it comes down to the guy that is turning, you land up learning more. It amazing the people out there that say you have to have this lathe or that lathe and spend a fortune on it, yes there are some great lathes that have bags of power and are very solid and heavy and a lot of fancy features but turning has been around a very long time and a lot of very beautiful stuff has been made over the years with very simple lathes, so just because it is a cheap lathe does not mean its not much good for anything. I know a lot of turners or would be turners that have spent thousands on a lathe and have piles of chisels and they can just about turn a basic bowl, some never learn.
Hope you go on to better things, what you have there for a first bowl and as its been said not the best wood to turn, you have done a good job of turning, no prizes for design but that also comes with thought and more turning. Nice going:2tsup: LB

thefixer
13th April 2008, 11:19 PM
G'day Michael

I know I, and most others knock the GMC lathe and warn against buying it. But I must admit that it was the GMC that got me hooked on turning and I have never looked back. My son and I turned a lot of stuff on that 'orrible thing but it was good practice and a cheap way of discovering a new hobby. 18 months later we upgaraded to a MC1100 and thought this was the RR of turning:? and on comparison I guess it was. Now 2 years later we are looking to go further ahead.(dreaming about a Vicmarc or Stubby). Anyway good luck with the new addiction and hope you can upgrade soon and get a better feel for turning.

Cheers
Shorty

orraloon
14th April 2008, 01:59 PM
Michael,
That is a very good start. Better than most first bowls.

Regards
John

Zarguld
14th April 2008, 02:13 PM
nice job there looks great

Mrs Woodpecker
14th April 2008, 07:51 PM
Great start - wish I could claim as well for my first effort. I agree with Sawdust Maker. We carry the chainsaw everywhere. Any timber fallen by the roadside is fair game.
cheers,
Shirley

lubbing5cherubs
14th April 2008, 07:54 PM
very nice indeed

tea lady
14th April 2008, 10:39 PM
Nice shape. Definately nothing wrong with that. And no need to blame the tools either. You seem to have a good eye. (for design I mean. ):)