PDA

View Full Version : Tutor's anyone?

crozz
25th June 2001, 07:48 PM
I'm just starting out
bought some tools,bought some books
but nothing really beats being taught firsthand, if there is anyone around central victoria or even Melbourne/Geelong who does I would appreciate knowing their names

John Saxton
25th June 2001, 08:22 PM
Talk to Neil, known as U Beaut head sherang and the boss and administrator of this here Bulletin Board.
Neil is a carver of some note so if you want courses he,s the man to see.
Cheers http://ubb.ubeaut.com.au/ubb/smile.gif

------------------
Johnno

Charles Castle
27th June 2001, 09:42 PM
Welcome to the wonderful world of woodcarving. For what it is worth, the following are the places I know where you can learn woodcarving. They are all in Melbourne, apart from Neil Ellis in Geelong. First of all, Neil is a great teacher and a carver of distinction. I have learnt a lot from him, but I don't know if he is doing any teaching at present. If he is, I will be contacting him again. There is a guy called John Kelly who has a class for beginners once a month at South Morang. He is in the phone book white pages and also in the yellow pages under woodcarvers. Neil says this guy is a great teacher. I think Holmesglen TAFE does some carving classes. Most importantly, Central Woodworkers of Manningham have four carving groups, each led by very experienced and competent teachers. Three of these are on 1st, 2nd and third Friday mornings of the month. I go to two of these. The other is the third Thursday evening, but I understand they don't do as much carving. As well as this is Coles School of Woodcraft at Box Hill, who run classes. There is also a Geelong group who meet one night a month. There may be others I don't know about. Neil and Central Woodworkers I can personally vouch for and are all excellent.
Good luck and welcome.