PDA

View Full Version : Screening ideas?

falc72
14th April 2008, 01:20 PM
Hi all,
I have a bit of a conundrum. Behind my yard is a double story house. It commands the occupants a great view of my yard. It's positioned to the front of their block so it's not right on my fence. I want to plant some fast growing screen to block off my yard. I would only require a screen of say 3 to 4 metres wide by about 4 metres high. However I have a storm water drainage pipe with council easement on my rear boundary. Some 2 metres from the rear fence. So I can't plant anything with evasive or large root systems. I have pondered the thought of making huge big planter boxes and positioning them on top of the ground at the right spot and growing some type of plant in them. This would also reduce the height I'd require of the plants as their relative ground level would be higher.
Would this work and if so what could be recommended as to the size of the boxes and type of plants.
Or if it wouldn't work can I have any suggestions.
Thanks heaps.
M.

flynnsart
14th April 2008, 05:09 PM
Buy some established palms of various varieties, you can put in pots or plant in ground, they have fibrousy roots. dont take up too much ground room either. Could get a few full sized ones and infil with younger cheaper ones. A good tree/palm farm could advise you what would be suitable. wouldnt spoil your lawn either.

donna

falc72
14th April 2008, 09:59 PM
Donna,
thanks. I hadn't thought of palms. Probably because I not a huge fan, but it might be a reasonably painless method and fast.
Thanks for your thoughts.
Cheers
Mick.

echnidna
14th April 2008, 10:03 PM
or Bamboo

falc72
16th April 2008, 06:39 PM
Bob,
Bamboo has been in my thoughts. Maybe encased in some of that tough plastic to stop it spreading.
Cheers.
Mick.

jags
22nd April 2008, 12:21 AM
i would go for lilliepiles or an acacia tree they are both ever green and fast growing and would provide a more dense screen than a palm . you can get large ones for about $125 each the larger the plant to begin with the faster it will grow or you can go small and by the time you come to sell the place in ten years the screen will be prefect .

rob