PDA

View Full Version : A new toy from Rockler

echnidna
14th April 2008, 04:21 PM
Here (http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=19441&ref_id=5157&ref_t=Z&originid=69161534&cookietest=1)

Interesting, wonder if yer can get a 240 volt version

malb
14th April 2008, 04:51 PM
I'm thinking that I would prefer the Carveright? at Woodcraft. $1900 vs $2300, includes cutter motor, accepts a scan head to reproduce items, uses a memory card for data transfer so you don't end up with a computer beside the machine sucking in minute dust particles.

Most likely wouldn't be buying either, bur the Carveright seems more interesting to me.

Big Shed
14th April 2008, 05:09 PM
The Rockler one doens't include the palm router, so you could buy that here.

echnidna
14th April 2008, 05:42 PM
I'm thinking that I would prefer the Carveright? at Woodcraft. $1900 vs $2300, includes cutter motor, accepts a scan head to reproduce items, uses a memory card for data transfer so you don't end up with a computer beside the machine sucking in minute dust particles.

Most likely wouldn't be buying either, bur the Carveright seems more interesting to me.

Allup I'd definately prefer the Carvewright too, but I envisage more hassles with it operating on 240V

The rockler is possible a lot easier as you whack a 240volt router in it so the rest of it probably won't need a huge 110 volt tranny to run it on.

Template Tom
18th April 2008, 08:41 PM
Never having owned such a machine as a CNC router, but I did have a go at carving with the router in fact when it was first produced and was seen by a salesman he commented on saying "That was obviously done with a CNC router". To his surprise I was able to convince him that it was all done in the plunge mode. It was some time like 18 years ago I produced the item posted here and only in the last month I was asked to produce two more. Luckily I had kept all the templates I had produced at the time, as it took no more than ten minutes to produce one more item. The templates had been stored in my workshop for the past eight years after my retirement.

Only last year I had another go at some carving suitable for use on a drawer front, or even made larger for a small cabinet door and I have included it here for your interest. The plunge router has its limitations of course when it comes to producing some carving designs but I found the two projects challenging at the time.
Tom

artme
19th April 2008, 07:57 AM
Excellent Tom!:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:
While I like the idea of CNC, the cost puts me off.