PDA

View Full Version : Reducers?

Ratmick
24th January 2004, 11:42 PM
Hi all,

I have the following power tools:

Small Makita sander with a 1" dust extraction outlet.
Bosch 1300W 1/2" router with a 1 1/2" dust extraction outlet.
Metabo Jigsaw with a 1 3/4" dust extraction outlet.

...I'm in the process of buying a 1hp Dust Extraction unit off a forum member, with a 4" collection hose. Does anyone know where I can get reducers to fit the above tools? I've had a look at Carbatech, and they have reducers, but not the right sizes...

Am I barking up the wrong tree, I don't a reducer, I need a ____?

BTW, what is a 'Blast Gate'?

thanks...

Mick:confused:

ozwinner
25th January 2004, 09:18 AM
Hi
Go to a plumbing supplies place, they have oodles of reducers, every size you need.
And there cheaper than woodworking ones.
A blast gate, is a gate where good partys are held, I think, maybe someone else can give you more info.
Cheers, Allan

Grunt
25th January 2004, 10:28 AM
I read in one of the woodworking magazines a readers tip that suggested you use stubbie holders made of neoprene (wet suit stuff) and cut a hole the right size in the bottom to fit your tool and stretch the other end over the hose.

Wayne Davy
25th January 2004, 12:48 PM
Mick,

You are going to have some problems. Not with getting reducers but with using a full D/C for small tools with small dust ports.

The problem is that large D/C's are designed to collect from a MINIMUM 4" (100mm) port on larger machines like Table Saws, Jointers, etc. They don't work very well at all when you reduce the port/pipe down below 4". In fact, at 2.5", you will not have much air flow at all and I think the port on the tool will block up (particlarly the Router).

The basic reason for this is that the big units are designed to work by MOVING lots of Air at a, relatively, low speed in comparison to a Work Shop/Household Vac which works at high speed but small area pipe. Also, with the Sander, you are going to find that the tiny dust that it creates will flow through the Bags on the big D/C as they are (at best) 30 micron but probably 60 micron filter. A GOOD workshop vac with a HEPTA filter is, usually, 1-2 micron with .5 the absolute best.

So, for you handheld power tools, you need to get a Workshop Vac as well - sorry. This is not to say not to get the big one as they are great for the big tools where the small Vac is useless.

If you want more details - go to my web site at http://members.optusnet.com.au/waynedavy/ and click on the "My Cyclone" button. You can also find details of Blast Gates and how to make your own. btw: Blast Gates are simply on/off valves on a permanent Ducting system with multiple tools connected.

Also, check out Bill Pentz's site in the USA at http://cnets.net/~eclectic/woodworking/cyclone/Index.html which has just been updated.

Cheers and hope this helps,

soundman
26th January 2004, 10:50 PM
After you get your workshop vac as wayne says.

32mm electrical conduit is you friend.
It slips up standard vac hose & fits many standard vac fittings.

A bit of heat or a bit of packing & you have a dust connection for anything.

Or a lot of the euro brand types, bosch, metabo, festo, have rubber thingies on the vac hoses suppled with their workshop vacs that seem to fit just about everything.

RETIRED
27th January 2004, 07:11 PM
A blast gate is a "tap" that shuts off the hoses or machines that are not in use so that full air flow is applied at the one you are using.

Nope, dunno how they got their name.:D