PDA

View Full Version : Lpg

ernknot
15th April 2008, 09:04 PM
Do you think it is worthwhile converting your vehicle to run on LPG. I now have a V8 and am thinking of cionverting. How does LPG affect towing capabilities?

DJ’s Timber
15th April 2008, 09:22 PM
I reckon its worth it, but it does depend on a few things.

1. What type of gas system that you install, Direct Injection or normal.
2. Do you do enough kilometres to justify the cost of the conversion

I converted my V6 4.0 Hilux using the direct injection system which guarantees no loss of power and it paid for itself pretty quickly as I do an average of 25,000Ks a yr. Can say that it runs as good if not better on gas because they dyno tune the system, so you do get the maximum benefit out of it. It was another $1100 on top of the standard conversion but worth it in my case as I do a fair bit of towing as well.

spokeshave
15th April 2008, 09:33 PM
I ran an XH XR8 ute on lpg (had to sell, baby arrived).

I had no drama's towing with it. I didn't tow anything large like a caravan or the like but once had a trailer full of brick pavers and retainer wall blocks and it went pretty well.

Economy was pretty shocking around town depending on how you drive (250km out of a 60l tank) but performance was only marginally less than on fuel. Certainly easier on the pocket paying 60c/l for lpg than $1.50/l for petrol.

I heard that the rebate for converting to lpg is being scrapped so you might want to hurry up.

Let us know how you get on.

Steven.

Big Shed
15th April 2008, 09:47 PM
I have had cars on LPG since the early 80s, first one was an FJ55 Landcruiser.

Since then I have had a couple of V8s (SS Commodore and VQ Statesman) a Mitsubishi Pajaro (3.5l V6) and a few Commodoresas well as a couple of Rovers.

Have just traded a VX Commodore V6 which had a standard LPG system for a VZ Commodore V6 with a factory installed direct injection system.

In all cases the payback period for the LPG installation was 12 months or less, with the current LPG installation subsidy this would be less for a conventional system. I have towed both camper trailers, a large caravan (with the Pajero) and a big skiboat with a big block Chev. In all cases towing was not a problem.

I would thoroughly recommend the new direct injection system, although it does tend to cost a bit more, in the long run it is worth it.

I had the VX Commodore for a little over 2 years, cost of LPG installation was $1800, payback up to the time I traded it in was $4800, not a bad investment in my opinion.

I purchased the VZ with the system already installed, cost was basically nil, as the car cost me the same as equivalent non-LPG models, so this time payback starts straight away. Performance is as good on LPG as it is on petrol.

As DJ said there are rumours floating around that the subsidy will be stopped by our new government, so keep that in mind.

DJ’s Timber
15th April 2008, 09:50 PM
As DJ said there are rumours floating around that the subsidy will be stopped by our new government, so keep that in mind.

Not me that said that, it was spokeshave :doh:

Big Shed
15th April 2008, 09:56 PM
Not me that said that, it was spokeshave :doh:

Sorry DJ, I suppose I should join the Fossil Forum, memory is not what it used to be.

Anyway, I read that news item on ABC News as well, so maybe there is something to it.

Burnsy
15th April 2008, 10:09 PM
I have just bought my third gas converted car (3.5 litre Rodeo) and I would never go back to paying ULP prices. I find that consumption is only slightly worse that ULP on all of the three.

Speaking to a fellow who is looking at buying my old rodeo (2.6 litre) yesterday and he has a Falcon that is lpg converted (not sure on model but I think very early 2000s maybe). He recently had an exhaust sensor fitted to it (cost $90) and reckons it has improved his consumption by by 1km per litre and he is now getting up to 7km/litre on country runs. This is alot better than my cars, 3.5 litre rodeo 5.2km/l and 4.5 litre landcruiser 4km/l. I will be going to investigate this sensor thing later this week as it is a pretty good return on $90 in my books.

Sir Stinkalot
15th April 2008, 10:39 PM
I am running a BF Falcon (6 cyl 4.0l) on injected gas for just under a year. Travelling about 33K km per year. I had it fitted by the same company that makes the system and fits most of Melbourne's taxis. Cant recall the exact cost but with the rebate it was well worth it. I would guess that I have started to turn a profit already.

I do find that it looses some power over the petrol but it doesn't really worry me .... it can be switched back to petrol in a second if need be. The system automatically starts on petrol until the engine is hot enough and then will automatically switch to gas.

Only downside is the amount of time to fill the tank with gas and the fact that the Shell servo near work often has one gas station out of order.

Tank of gas $30 approx 470km
Tank of petrol $65 approx 550km (cant be sure as I have never used a full tank).

Only concern is that the gas prices seem to be rising like the petrol ...... when I had the system first installed it was steady at about 45c/l and now is over 60c/l ...... obviously still cheaper than petrol but it will not be long before LPG is pushing $1/l. I think the government rebate also ends in a few years.

Big Shed
16th April 2008, 09:30 AM
Only downside is the amount of time to fill the tank with gas and the fact that the Shell servo near work often has one gas station out of order.

Are you filling at a Shell servo? I find that when I fill at a Shell servo it takes twice as long as at other brands.
They have a very strange nozzle design which sometimes won't even screw on because the inside seal part is at an angle. The pumps themselves must be a different brand, they certainly don't pump very quickly.
I queried the manager at local Shell station and he confirmed that they get lots of complaints. This problem seems to be everywhere. When we go to Melbourne or Adelaide and ports between, so I try to avoid Shell whenever I can.
The other thing about Shell is that they don't display the LPG price at most of their stations.

ernknot
16th April 2008, 08:22 PM
My understanding is that the LPG subsidy runs out in 2010. Don't know if
Labour will keep this alive. I guess if the Libs put it in Labour will can it just because. Tit for Tat crap.

spokeshave
16th April 2008, 09:18 PM
Keep in mind that there will be an excise put on lpg in 3 years or so. The level of excise will increase gradually for another couple of years after its introduction.
The labour government may well be scrapping the conversion rebate but i think it unlikely they will scrap the introduction of an excise. Lots of extra money to be had from all those people taking advantage of the rebate. Its like handing you a cashback with one hand while they pick your wallet with the other.
Never the less, i think if you are doing the kays then converting your car to lpg is worthwhile.

Steven.

mat
18th April 2008, 09:54 AM
I had an 80 series cruiser on gas for 13 years. Remember gas is very dry (no lubricant effect) You have to be very careful with valve settings. I did my own valve adjustments and did notice significant valve recession over the years until I added a flashlube system which adds lubricant to the upper engine directly. Also I had to get a gas inspection every year for rego, added cost and hassle. At ten years I could have got the gas tank pressure tested but opted for a new tank that was chassis mounted. The old one that was floor mounted was ripping the floor.

Thats why I now run a 100 series turbo diesel.

Consider any effect it may have on your warranty. Also the Toyota workshop guys don't like all the added hardware that gets in their way when servicing. Thats why I ended up doing the servicing myself.

mat
18th April 2008, 09:58 AM
I just remembered the cascade of events when I converted the cruiser. First you lose the spare wheel space underneath. Moved that to a rear mounted wheel carrier, extra cost and hassel each time you have to open the back door. Then the rear shocks went because of the extra weight. The suspension people convinced me to upgrade the springs as well. This raised the vehicle so I had to do the front to match. Then the steering geometry was out.

Another reason I went diesel and kept relatively stock.

ernknot
22nd April 2008, 06:13 PM
Thanks Mat,
Also had an 80 series cruiser on lpg for a long time - 12 years- Used the valve lubrication system and no probs. I believe that nowdays on the 200 series cruiser they will be using liquid injection. These kits are not yet available for the general public. Appears they need to be tested by some dumb ass federal org.
I have been told to wait for a couple of months before enquiring again. These are available O/S already. Adding to the cost hey?

Buzza
22nd April 2008, 09:48 PM
I put a recon Toyota 5r (4cyl) into a big old Daihatsu Delta van. Then I did the conversion and had a 115 litre tank mounted indoors. SWMBO and I did most of the eastern half of Australia in that old van over 12 years, and even pulled a fifteen foot Viscount caravan behind it through the mainly flat Northern Territory. I wouldn't have towed over the mountains in the east, but the van alone climbed the Blue Mountains on numerous occasions albeit slowish. I had the oil dripper fitted from day one, and the 5R needed valve attention only once.

The best part of it all was that in the early years of this conversion, I could achieve 600K's on LPG, then switch over to petrol to get another 400 K;s. This meant we could pass straight through a lot of those rip off pit stops on long trips.