PDA

View Full Version : Adjustable Pipe Lathe Lite

OGYT
17th April 2008, 05:51 AM
Finally have a light over the lathe that doesn't get in the way, and lights up what I need lit.:D
Pic 1 - it's made from 1/2" galvanized pipe fittings. Floor flanges fasten it at the top and at the bottom board the two Wal-Mart cheapie desk lamps are hanging on. I tightened the long joints to the elbows wrench tight. The short pieces are hand tight so they'll turn easy.
Pic 2 - Here, it's extended out over the outboard end. 'Scuse the speaker wires, rope hoist, air cleaner, etc...
Pic 3 - The bases of the lamps. Removed the weights, and just screwed through each base. I threaded the electric wire through each piece of pipe as I screwed it together to keep it from being all twisted up inside the pipe. And I left the wire in the open in case I needed to put a longer down extension pipe on it. Each lamp base has a little rocker switch on it.
Pic 4 - The cheapie Wal-Mart desk lamps.

jmk89
17th April 2008, 06:02 AM
Like it

artme
17th April 2008, 07:55 AM
Very interesting.

Zarguld
17th April 2008, 10:40 AM
Mate router a trench on the back of the wood so you can run the wires in it on the back and then make a cove for the trench drill tow holes in the back if the wood one for each light and a single in the covere in it and hide those wires you could electricute your self by leaving those wires but other tan that it looks fantastic.

OGYT
17th April 2008, 02:26 PM
Mate router a trench on the back of the wood so you can run the wires in it on the back and then make a cove for the trench drill tow holes in the back if the wood one for each light and a single in the covere in it and hide those wires you could electricute your self by leaving those wires but other tan that it looks fantastic.
I appreciate your concern, Zarguld, but the wiring in each lamp is exactly like it came from the factory. I left the connection and wire nuts in the open so I can take it apart easier if I needed to add an extension on the last pipe. I'll close them in soon as I decide I don't need to extend it. Besides, I can't get electrocuted without bare wires... these are all insulated and have wire nuts on them. :D
Thanks for thinkin' of me.

orraloon
17th April 2008, 03:26 PM
Smart idea.

bowl-basher
18th April 2008, 02:17 PM
:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:
consider your idea pinched
good one
Bowl basher

woodwork wally
19th April 2008, 10:35 PM
Hi Like the light setup In case you didnt catch up check out the technatool gouge site again problem solved Thanks for your inputs Regards for now WWWally

powderpost
19th April 2008, 11:12 PM
Doesn't U.S.A. have 110 volts???? Australia has 240 volts. Bit more lethal. Plus we have to have a licensed electrician do the electrical. Excellent idea though. I use a 1200mm flouro tube over my lathe.

Jim

Zarguld
19th April 2008, 11:26 PM
Just trying to think of your safety thats all.:2tsup:

Mobil Man
20th April 2008, 02:38 AM
OGYT. Looks like you came up with a very BRIGHT idea. Nice.

OGYT
20th April 2008, 04:46 AM
PowderPost, we do have 120 volts 60 cycle, here in the upover. And we also have 240 volts 60 cycle for heavier items. But we also have some private domain laws here in Texas that covers a lot... one thing that it covers is the right of a man to do his own minor electrical and plumbing repairs, among other things... if you do anything major, it has to be permitted and signed off by the proper licensed techie.
Zarguld, I understand, Sir, and I'm appreciative. We got to look out for each other. :U
MM, this idea isn't mine, originally. It came from a friend in North Carolina. I just had to modify his idea a little to fit my needs. :)

hughie
20th April 2008, 08:52 AM
all said and done its looks a good idea