PDA

View Full Version : Ceramic sharpening stones

Ben from Vic.
25th January 2004, 05:25 PM
Hello, just wondering if anyone has had any experience with these, and could point me to a supplier in Melbourne.

I've been thinking about buying a diamond 'stone' for sharpening, but they only go to about 1200, and I've been trying to figure out what to use next. I had been looking at a felt or leather buffing wheel for the bench grinder, when I came across the ceramic 'stones', so I thought I'd post me a thread and see what I catch.

BTW, the stone would need to be widder than 2 3/8 inch.

Ben

Ps. any info about the buffing wheel would be appreciated too.

DanP
25th January 2004, 05:33 PM
Ben,

Do a search on 'Scary Sharp' on this forum. It will give you heaps of info on sharpening.

Dan

Ben from Vic.
25th January 2004, 06:07 PM
Dan.

I was really after specific information on the items listed above, I already use the scary sharp method, and find that I wear-out the wet/dry a bit to fast for my liking.
Scary sharp works OK for now, but in the future Ill probably be getting a double sided diamond stone for the for fast cutting, then finish off with one of three options.

A. the cheapest, Veritas Honing compound.

B. Leather or felt wheel on the bench grinder (not sure about this one)

C. The safe bet, ceramic stone (if I can find a stone big enough)

I chose these options as they are relatively easy, and don't require any mantenance (unlike water stone or 'arky').

Ben :D

DarrylF
26th January 2004, 08:18 AM
Seems I've tried almost every method lately. Just started really getting into hand tools, actually own two planes & a spokeshave now! :) Brings the need for sharpening to the fore.

I sharpened a new block plane blade, the spokeshave and a couple chisels yesterday. Started on a 1" belt sander for the worst of it (old spokeshave blade that had been butchered), then the rough side of an oilstone, then the fine side, then to a diamond stone, then to 600 grit wet & dry on a granite slab, then 1000 grit, then to a stitched cloth wheel on my bench grinder with steel polishing compound.

Once they're sharp I use the stitched cloth & compound to maintain an edge. Mirror finish you can shave with. Tends to last as well.

For me the trick with the scary sharp is only to use it for some of the final stuff - really maybe a dozen strokes on each grit at most. It's not a method in my limited experience for bulk removal, but works well for the fine stuff.