PDA

View Full Version : Norfolk pine is it good.

Jarrahrules
17th April 2008, 10:03 PM
Hi I have 3 Three meter logs of Norfolk pine :Dis it good for wood turning.

Regards Jamc

lubbing5cherubs
17th April 2008, 10:12 PM
I am going to have a stab in the dark but I say it would be. Lovely grain if you can get it to turn will be very nice
Toni

Jarrahrules
17th April 2008, 10:50 PM
Ive been looking at bowls made from NIP and most of then are turned in the end grain not the side grain. Not like my photo. Would this be good. if so i won't get the logs slabed. The tree was 350mm at the base and 150mm at the top.
JAMC

TTIT
17th April 2008, 11:30 PM
The Yanks and Kiwis turn heaps of the stuff but mainly green so they can turn very thin-walled hollow forms from it. Good stuff to learn the ropes of hollowing on :2tsup:

OGYT
18th April 2008, 04:41 AM
Don't remember his name, but there's a bloke that turns it really thin, and soaks it in oil, and it makes it translucent.
Sure is good for turning.

rsser
18th April 2008, 07:20 AM
Yeah, do a google on NP and Hawaii. Think it works best with a bit of spalting. Otherwise it's pretty plain and the colour can be an ugly grey-green when dry.

When fully dry it's hard to turn a bowl without a lot of tear-out in the end grain. When green it's pretty stable and is easy turning.

The knots can be a feature or a pain depending on where they appear in the piece so do some planning. Bear in mind the branches droop so try to keep track of which way was up in the trunk or you can end up with knot running the width of the bowl or platter bottom.

Little Festo
18th April 2008, 09:40 AM
I've been working with some Bunya Pine, have been given a couple of trees that had to be removed. It turns really well, I imagine that the Norfolk Pine would be similar. The knots can be a problem if they are in the "wrong place". I turned a slightly longer piece with the knots very near the base, it was a bit of a problem as the gouge was unsupported, (tool rest was unable to be positioned near cutting surface) and therefore there was a bit of "persiration" involved in finishing the inside/hollowing. The piece is still drying at the moment.

Here is one of the Bunya Pieces, oiled finish. The Norfolk would definatly be worth a try.

Peter

rsser
18th April 2008, 11:08 AM
Nice piece Peter.

The prob with oil soaking is obviously the quantity you need for a good size bowl.

Have heard of guys using 50/50 turps and BLO.

Skew ChiDAMN!!
18th April 2008, 07:02 PM
I think the bloke Ern has in mind with his reference to Hawaii & "soaking" is Ron Kent (http://jlkraftfineart.com/a/kent.html)? Or maybe Jack Ewing? (http://www.hawaiiwoodturning.com/)

Either way, both blokes show that NP is damned good turning material, provided you handle it right.

Jarrahrules
18th April 2008, 07:18 PM
Thanks guys it seems i better get on the lathe. I was going to slab some for a dining table but all things seem to point towards turning it.
thanks for the advice ern there are alot of knots so i could turn the knots into.
will post some pics but it may take a couple of weeks.
regards
JAMC

Jarrahrules
18th April 2008, 07:20 PM
I've been working with some Bunya Pine, have been given a couple of trees that had to be removed. It turns really well, I imagine that the Norfolk Pine would be similar. The knots can be a problem if they are in the "wrong place". I turned a slightly longer piece with the knots very near the base, it was a bit of a problem as the gouge was unsupported, (tool rest was unable to be positioned near cutting surface) and therefore there was a bit of "persiration" involved in finishing the inside/hollowing. The piece is still drying at the moment.

Here is one of the Bunya Pieces, oiled finish. The Norfolk would definatly be worth a try.

Peter

Hi Peter looks like this peice was turned wet and cupped. Looks good.:2tsup::2tsup:
JAMC:D

Jarrahrules
18th April 2008, 07:27 PM
Hey guys check out my Mini Couper s i made out of timber:2tsup::2tsup:
I love it.
JAMC
7144171442:U:U:U

TTIT
18th April 2008, 10:41 PM
Very cool JAMC :2tsup: Looks great. Rough dimensions??? Getting all nostalgic - my first cage was a Cooper - until I used it to T-bone an old drunk who didn't know what S T O P spelt :~

Jarrahrules
18th April 2008, 11:29 PM
Very cool JAMC :2tsup: Looks great. Rough dimensions??? Getting all nostalgic - my first cage was a Cooper - until I used it to T-bone an old drunk who didn't know what S T O P spelt :~

It was 280mm by 160mm by 130mm high.

I have a better thread going on it woodwork general.

What a waste of a good mini.

JAMC:D