PDA

View Full Version : My first container

Zarguld
17th April 2008, 10:23 PM
Well this is my first try at turning a container or any thing that needs hollowing so here it is give me your worst it is made out of Radiata and Iron bark....

lubbing5cherubs
17th April 2008, 10:24 PM
I like it alot. I think it nice
Toni

joe greiner
17th April 2008, 11:30 PM
Close to perfect on your first try. Well done.

Joe

TTIT
17th April 2008, 11:50 PM
Wouldn't worry about it too much - everyone's gotta start somewhere and it's really not that bad. :2tsup: Look at it this way - at least you've left enough meat to refine the shape and finish a little when you gain bit more experience - I did it myself with some of my earlier 'attempts':B

Check twice!
18th April 2008, 12:02 AM
Zargauld
For a person like myself that does not turn, I find it good for your first attemp at containers. I am no critic, just an admirer looks nice.

TTIT
You have some fine gallery!

John

OGYT
18th April 2008, 04:37 AM
Zarguld, my first wasn't as nice as that one! And your first, being a lidded box, well, that's even better!! Don't let it get away. You'll look back at it after a while and know how much you've progressed. Good job!

artme
18th April 2008, 07:44 AM
Great effort Zarguld!:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:
Just a couple of suggestions:

Try to make the lid of your next container thinner and ggive it a less chunky look when standing by itself.
Work on your design. It looks as though you couldn't make up your mind about whether you wanted a straight sided or spherical type container.You were very brave to get stuck into radiata! One thing though, it is cheap and plentiful so lots to practice with.

wheelinround
18th April 2008, 01:07 PM
:2tsup: good job for crappy $20 lathe and sharp tools

Skew ChiDAMN!!
18th April 2008, 07:21 PM
My worst? Nar, I won't do that to you. We're not in a comp. :U I tend to agree with Artme, though... about the lid at least. Form will come with practice, so I won't get picky about that now.

Still, that lid really does need to be thinner... the first thing any other turner does when inspecting your work is turn it over to look at the bottom and the second is remove the lid (if any) to check for fit and how "light" it is. FWIW, the third is shove a finger inside to check wall thickness. (So we're nosy biggers. :;)

All that aside: well done! Radiata is a good "practice wood" in that you need to have good toolmanship to work it properly with serious tear-out. (I like to give it to my "apprentices" after they start becoming cocky about how good they're doing with hardwoods. :devil:) The knob could've done with more sanding though - the ol' 80-grit gouge can hide a lot of mistakes) - as the photo really highlights the rough spots. That's one of the worst things about photos... they tend to exaggerate the worst bits unless you're a really good photographer - in which case you can manipulate 'em to hide the worst. :roll: I imagine it looks a lot better "in person."

It's a definite keeper. Unlike TTiT I wouldn't remount it further down the line for improvement... I still have some of my earliest work and although at times they're embarassments (when other turners ask about 'em) I can still remember the sense of pride I had at the time. They're the milestones against which I measure myself now and they're gonna stay that way.

(And ya know what? Some of them I've tried to reproduce since and I can't! Now that I "know" it can't be done... :B)

BernieP
18th April 2008, 09:05 PM
G'Day Zarguld

Good first effort, now for the next & next & next etc. very habit forming

Cheers
Bernie

Zarguld
20th April 2008, 12:04 AM
Thanks guys for your replies This is the only way that I learn how I am doing so I appreciate it I think I will keep all these early pieces to judge my progress and how far along I am coming But Skew you are defintely right I have nearly run out of sand paper so I am going to have to go get some asap but I totaled my car today so it might be a couple of days before I get to do that.