tanii51
18th April 2008, 08:58 PM
looks like some sort of scraper made by moore and wright sheffield england

echnidna
18th April 2008, 09:10 PM
Its a bearing scraper.

tanii51
18th April 2008, 09:20 PM
well here i was thinking i found some kind of special wood working tool ah well one day some one will put it in a museum when im gone ( not yet for a while tho )

Woodlee
18th April 2008, 09:20 PM
As Bob stated its a bearing scraper used for scraping white metal and or bronze bearings.
They don't get a lot of use these days unless you are restoring or repairing old machinery .There are a number of different types that make up a set.

Kev.

tanii51
18th April 2008, 09:28 PM
thanks guys well if theres any antique machinery restorers that would like it let me know i dont think ill be fixing old windmills any more

Ian Wells
27th April 2008, 01:44 AM
also used as a printmakers scraper for lightening mezzotints or aquatints

Ivan in Oz
27th April 2008, 07:46 AM
Its a bearing scraper.

And YES!
They are STILL used,
though the Skilled Ppl to use them are Few and Far between.

Woodlee
29th April 2008, 12:12 AM
And YES!
They are STILL used,
though the Skilled Ppl to use them are Few and Far between.

That's because scraping bearings or a flat surface is a boring mind numbing job ,and I don't blame anyone for not wanting to do it.
All my scrapers are safely locked away in a tool box , pushed right to the back of the mezzanine in my shed.

They don't teach scraping at trade school ,and didn't when I did my tech , I learnt it on the job from an old fitter who did an apprenticeship in Yugoslavia as a machine bed scraper.
With modern materials and precision surface grinding processes there is really no call for hand scraping these days ,unless you want a fancy patterned finish on your lathe bed or surface table.
Restoring old machinery is another story .

Kev.

joe greiner
29th April 2008, 02:25 AM
IIRC, Lindsay Books ( http://www.lindsaybks.com/ ) has a book with a title something like "Secrets of Hand Scraping." Ah, here 'tis: http://www.lindsaybks.com/bks9/hscrape/index.html

Joe

wheelinround
29th April 2008, 09:55 AM
That's because scraping bearings or a flat surface is a boring mind numbing job ,and I don't blame anyone for not wanting to do it.
All my scrapers are safely locked away in a tool box , pushed right to the back of the mezzanine in my shed.

They don't teach scraping at trade school ,and didn't when I did my tech , I learnt it on the job from an old fitter who did an apprenticeship in Yugoslavia as a machine bed scraper.
With modern materials and precision surface grinding processes there is really no call for hand scraping these days ,unless you want a fancy patterned finish on your lathe bed or surface table.

Kev.

Bit like Ornamental pattering eh Kev

Woodlee
29th April 2008, 09:54 PM
Bit like Ornamental pattering eh Kev

Yes , I have seen a number of patterns scraped into metal surfaces that look like basket weave .
Never been good at getting patterns myself , but did a lot of scraping when I worked in the maintenance sections at Simpson Pope where I did my apprentice ship.
Spent many hours scraping machine slides and crank bearings in Hiene metal stamping presses and associated machinery .
We used to pour and machine the white metal bearings as well for these presses .The Islington railway yard workshop scrap heap was a good source for old rail wagon axles for machining the single throw crankshafts for them as well.
I did a tool room 3 foot square marking out table and a couple of engine lathe restorations.
Last one I did was a 1916 manufactured Dean Smith and Grace ,took over 18 months to get it back to working condition .

Old man Simpson was tight with money when buying machinery and would buy second hand when ever he could ,some of the crap he wanted restored took ages to get back to use able condition, the work was done by the apprentices with supervision by the senior tradesmen.
Most parts were custom made as they were not available or Simpson was too stindgy to buy them.

A lot of my scrapers I made myself , from tool steel ,and old files ,some have tungsten carbide silver soldered on and ground to shape as cutting edges .

Maybe one day I'll dig my scrapers out and scrape a plane body flat and square, I won't be rushing into the task though.
Kev.

wheelinround
30th April 2008, 06:48 PM
Only ever knew one fellow with these tools Kev sadly he past away early in my life so never got to see them in use.

I have seen many works produced by the tools on finished products :2tsup:

woodcutta
30th April 2008, 07:29 PM

Kev.

Not quite true Kev. Draglines in the mining industry still use white metal bearings on all the Motor Generator sets. Even new ones!
And yes as everyone says its hard to find someone that can still do the job properly

woodcutta

Woodlee
30th April 2008, 08:45 PM
In certain instances bush type bearings either bronze or white metal will carry higher radial loads than roller bearings ,I know white metal bearings are still used in some machinery ,I was mostly referring to machine beds and ways .
The motor gensets I worked on in the power industry were all roller bearings apart from the engine crank mains and bigends.
The gas turbine engines I maintained used a tilt pad bearing ,now that is an interesting concept

Kev.

AlexS
1st May 2008, 10:22 AM
One of the first things I was taught when I started my apprenticeship (engines/airframes) was to use a bearing scraper, but I've never used one since. Don't know if I still could.

texx
7th December 2008, 09:01 AM
yep i know its an old post but i just found it so in adding a bit to it .
i have some bearing scrapers not sure if its a full set but it should be ,
my dad used them , and could use them properly ( he died 8 or 9 years ago .
he was a marine engineer and served his time at smiths docks in the UK , then went to sea in the merchant navy as ships engineer.
he used those scrapers a lot making new bearings for very large ships engines some times while at sea ,