PDA

View Full Version : Router Bit Storage

Carry Pine
18th April 2008, 10:19 PM
I have some router bits in sets (1/2in) that sit in little slots. My problem is that they are really stuck in there and I'm worried that one day I'll slip and the cutter will find its mark (on me). Any ideas? They look so good in those little fold down racks, they are just a b$%#^& to get out.

Carry Pine

Pat
18th April 2008, 10:43 PM
McJing (http://www.mcjing.com.au/routeracc/index.htm) has router bit trays. I got two of the 1/4" ones that I'll evaluate:)

Carry Pine
19th April 2008, 09:58 PM
Thanks Pat. The boxes they come in a pretty good and are of a handy size. I'd like to keep them in the boxes but just adapt the box for an easy removal of the bits.

CP

Knurl
24th April 2008, 03:50 PM
I cut my fingers with bits in a home-drilled holder. The 1/4in hole is too tight for a 1/4 shank, as you say CP.

I solved the problem by adding a small sliver of timber into the chuck next to the shank of the 1/4 drill. When you start the DP the drill wobbles a little bit, so the hole is slightly larger than 1/4 and WHALLA! a perfect fit for the shank of the router bit.

Geoff Dean
24th April 2008, 04:26 PM
I got one of the carbi-tools plastic cases at last year's Melb WWW show. I think it was around $12-15. Does a good job.:)

Chris Parks
26th April 2008, 03:08 PM
Drill the hole .5mm bigger. Don't use timber as a stand material as the shafts on the router bits will rust as the moisture held in the timber gets on the shaft.