PDA

View Full Version : Bouquet

dale3523
26th January 2004, 03:19 PM
Just joined the message board, but have been prowling through the archives for a couple of months now.

I'd just like to belt everyone over the head with a great big bouquet of nice smelly flowers. Love the tone of the list and have heaps of tips cut and pasted into a tips folder. Certainly a helpful, good humoured bunch.

Would also like to note for posterity that as a result of someone spruiking Neil Schultz's email address in the archives, I sent him off a help plea re correct blades to use for mdf of varying thicknesses.

Wow! I received a super helpful reply, even down to warnings about the nasty properties of mdf. Above and beyond the call of duty. Thanks so much Neil for all that advice.

ozwinner
26th January 2004, 03:35 PM
Originally posted by dale3523

I'd just like to belt everyone over the head with a great big bouquet of nice smelly flowers.

Hey come on you make us out to be a bunch of girls.............

Oh bugger just chipped another nail.

http://www.my-smileys.de/smileys_1/0034.gif

Cheers, Allan

dale3523
26th January 2004, 03:38 PM
Well, it's better than belting you over the head with a lump of 4"X2" isn't it?

Sturdee
26th January 2004, 04:38 PM
Oh bugger just chipped another nail.

Allan, don't whinge about your nails, we know you buy them by the carton. :)

Peter.

Iain
27th January 2004, 08:56 AM
I am envisaging a bewildered blond with a nail gun:confused:
Scroll sander are an excellent way to manicure sweeties:rolleyes:

oges
27th January 2004, 10:06 AM
could i request a beer to be poured over my head the next time thanks.

Neil is very good with advice for scrolling through both the Australian Woodworker and the Australian Scrollsaw Network.

I tried MDF once and apart from the health hazards its not a very nice 'wood' to work with. Its hard to get a sharp edge when you sand and getting a nice finish isnt too easy either. Nothing beats a solid wood for scrolling, but if you want something cheap and in big sizes then there are some nice plywoods out there, just get the good quality stuff.

dale3523
27th January 2004, 11:31 PM
Actually I've been messing around with mdf for the past six or seven years. Granted it's nasty stuff with the formaldehyne, but some plywoods also have formaldehyde sandwiched in them.

What one needs to remember when buying mdf is that it comes in several grades and the quality of the lowest compared to the highest is like comparing blotting paper to redgum.

For big projects you can't find solid wood wide enough (I'm not into joining boards together) and ply has nasty, stripey edges. If having trouble sanding mdf, apply a matte acrylic sealer to it first. Stops all the fluffies on the surface and edges.

You'll have to hunt around for the top shelf mdf and it's usually only available in full packs. I've lucked upon some from time to time when the blotting paper stuff found in big chainstore hardware shops has had a cover board of the good stuff. If you can beat the staff to it, you get it for free!

The high grade mdf turns beautifully on a lathe too. If you ever get a chance to check out raw wood folkart pieced made by Crafturn, you'll see what an excellent job can be done with it.