PDA

View Full Version : Please save my soul!

FAB
26th January 2004, 06:13 PM
Please save my soul!
I am off in three weeks bound for the UK for six weeks.
What so bad about that I hear you say?
Well I am going with SHMBO and two little ones 4 ½ and 16 months.

Not so bad in itself, however the whole reason for the trip is to visit and stay with the in-laws.

Now the Father-in-law is a very nice bloke for a doctor, likes to get out in the shed and get his hands dirty.

But Mother-in-law, well I just wouldn’t like to say mainly because from dawn until dusk, week in, week out, you couldn’t get a word in even if you chamfered the sides and tried to slip in sideways.

So I was hoping that someone many know of a two or three day wood turners course or a woodworkers show or expo, that I could make sound like I just couldn’t miss the opportunity.
I am positive that even a day away from the mouth would do wonders for my sole and SHMBO may even come along as well. You see the two ladies don’t always see eye to eye, if you know what I mean.

Appealing to Your Humanity
Mike

Christopha
26th January 2004, 07:15 PM
Just pop a machete in your carry on luggage..... you won't have to go anywhere.....

Rocker
26th January 2004, 07:58 PM
Have you gone stark staring mad? Visiting the UK in mid-Feb? Do you like horizontal hail, incessant rain, and paying $3.00 a litre for petrol, and and arm and a leg for a square meal? I predict that you will be mightily relieved to board the Spirit of Australia after six weeks of that.

To address your problem of the mouth, you could arrange a course with David Charlesworth; see

http://www.davidcharlesworth.co.uk

derekcohen
26th January 2004, 08:06 PM
Mike

Just think of all the opportunities to find classic Old Tools cheaply at all those flea markets. I would be drooling at the thought (actually I will be visiting the UK at the end of the year, and this thought IS definitely foremost on my mind!).

Regards from Perth

Derek

ozwinner
26th January 2004, 08:18 PM
Cant help with soul saveing.........but they can help.
http://www.god.org/
http://www.my-smileys.de/smileys_1/angel3.gifhttp://www.my-smileys.de/smileys_1/angel3.gifhttp://www.my-smileys.de/smileys_1/angel3.gifhttp://www.my-smileys.de/smileys_1/angel3.gifhttp://www.my-smileys.de/smileys_1/angel3.gif

Cheers, His Holeyness the Pope

DarrylF
26th January 2004, 10:04 PM
You poor bugger :( My daughter was born in the UK. Flew out here with her at 4.5 months, back at 6 months, then moved back to Oz when she was 9 months. Bloody nightmare every flight. Can't imagine doing it with 2 little ones.

I lived near the centre of London for 2 years. The markets are great - lotsa interesting stuff to look at. There's one off Marlebone (sp?) road that we used to visit a lot, basically a permanent indoor setup, and there's a few of them around London. Bought some great old maps & so on there. Wasn't tool hunting at the time though.

There's also some great old book stores and antiques stores - good source of ideas. Take the kids to Hamleys just off Oxford street - best toy store you're ever likely to see. Lotsa good shopping around Oxford street - not cheap though.

Other than avidly watching Norm on cable I wasn't woodworking while I was there, so I can't help much on that front - but London is a great place to visit if you get out & about. There are lots of interesting things to do & see.

Can't help much on the mother in law I'm afraid. Mine's not too bad thankfully, and lives in Yorkshire - so I don't see her too often :) Just think though: she lives in another country on the other side of the planet - grin & bear it, and remember it'll probably be years before you have to do it again :D

A little tip though: It's bloody cold this time of year :) Several layers of clothes and a good coat (preferably leather) are a must. Gloves and a scarf run a close second.

soundman
26th January 2004, 10:10 PM
Mate the UK has to be lousy with wood tourist destinations.

A few factory tours in schefield, A turning course in th escottish highlands, Driftwood sculpture on the isle of white, windsor chair workshop in the midlands.

pick up one of the uk wood work mags & turn to the back.

rescue the fatherinlaw while youre at it.

Dusty
26th January 2004, 10:28 PM
First up, don't listen to the mother-in-law, do as I do and just completely switch off.

Secondly, if you ever wonder how a girl will eventually turn out, just look at her mother. So for that you have my condolences.

Thirdly, suss out how the good Doctor handles his annoying missus. This will be invaluable to you.

Finally, check out John Boddy's Fine wood & Tool Store Ltd. It looks good in the ads.

Also, don't mention the god damn Rugby while your there. They'll be into you so fast about it. Simply 'cause, it's the only thing they've achieved in the past decade or so.

Good luck
Try and enjoy yourself.

Iain
27th January 2004, 08:49 AM
We went to poverty rock about 20 years ago when my grandmother died, all the relos were busy throwing out the 'junk' furniture. We retrieved it and put it in a container and sent it home.
The poms have a different persective on antiques, theirs seem to be a lot older before they are worth anything.
Anything mid to late 1800's is regarded as firewood.
Never checked out tools.
This was in Scotland were the furniture was acquired.
Look for deceased estates when you are there, could be worthwhile.

Chesand
27th January 2004, 08:48 PM
Check out Pommy woodworking magazines in your local newsagents. Sometimes there are courses advertised.

TOMARTOM
27th January 2004, 09:31 PM
Here's the word,
Take the mother in law to the GG's and get her a job calling the horses, both you and the father in law upon dropping her off visit a few of the tool supply shops (in your case for woodturners) and buy up on items that are made either there, especially items from Sheffield or the surrounding EU.

FAB
3rd April 2004, 11:00 PM
Well have survived the trip! And yes Rocker the weather was a little unpleasant for the first two weeks. Snow and rain but at least the kids got to see snow for the first time.

But the best part, out of the 6 weeks I only spent 10 days with the in-laws.

I was allowed to leave the family there and go of and do my own thing. yippee!!!

A trip to Holland, and few days here and there and a week in London.

Which just happened to coincide with the International Wood Show at Alexandria Palace.

Now let me say that it was a very nice place to have a wood show, but as for the show itself I was just a little disappointed. It is billed as the biggest show in England and well I suppose I was expecting three days of lets say wood heaven and I ended up with ¾ of a day in woody limbo! Nothing new and exciting, just the same as the working with wood shows here, only smaller. Now I have only been to the Brisbane show and I would say that it was about twice the size as the London one.

So it just goes to show that we might live at the end of the world, but it is such a beautiful little , and I for one am happy to be here.