PDA

View Full Version : First Attempt at a box lid

lubbing5cherubs
19th April 2008, 06:53 PM
Gidday Guys and girls, This is my first attempt at doing a fancy box with my new lathe. The box leaves a lot to desire but I learnt a lot. The end grain kept breaking way. And then went I parted off the base. It went through the bottom is now a hole. The finish I used was shellawax but I then scraped out the cracks with pop rivet.

I did have fun if nothing else. What your thoughts?
Toni

flynnsart
19th April 2008, 07:09 PM
Hello Toni, it is hard to get a close look at your little item. Looks like you are having fun with your new toy:2tsup:Can you put up bigger images? Or is it a phone camera? So what is the go with these lathes? Is that what does the pattern on the top?

Donna

lubbing5cherubs
19th April 2008, 07:11 PM
Hi Donna, Sorry about the photo yes it is phone. I will try and get a larger picture. YEs it does the patterns
Toni

BernieP
19th April 2008, 07:37 PM
G'Day Toni

Good to see you're getting into it. Did you look at the thread I sent to you on the 17th http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/showthread.php?t=70772 its not as hard to understand as some I've read.

Cheers
Bernie

lubbing5cherubs
19th April 2008, 07:41 PM
yes i did thank you
Toni

wheelinround
22nd April 2008, 11:47 AM
:2tsup: all in the process Toni

maybe smaller cuts taking less off rather than diving straight in and taking big cuts Toni with a number of passes

Ray