PDA

View Full Version : Timber for Turning?

JackoH
2nd January 2000, 03:41 PM
The best timbers for specific turning applications? e.g.whats best for pepper mills, or salad bowls,or anything else which can be turned on a lathe?
More on the Above.1/2/00
Taffy, Thanks for your advice regarding the none toxic properties of Jacaranda. However here in southern Vic. that species is somewhat rare as it is not very frost tolerant.
I worded the question badly , as what I am really after is a definitive list of timbers and their applications, if there is such a thing.
I have access to Red Gum, Silky Oak, Mountain Ash(Tas. Oak) Blackwood, Elm, Cedar Wattle, Liquid Amber, Cypress,and various other pines & some exotics to name but a few. As you can see a reasonable variety. Thanks again and have a good turn.
Regards John

[This message has been edited by John Hambly (edited 01 February 2000).]

TAFFY
30th January 2000, 07:49 PM
Try and get hold of some Jacaranda , its an easy wood to turn , and as far as I know has no toxic effects. for a new turner it is a good starter especially as there is always someone pruneing their trees. feels like Hoop pine to turn but is less expensive (usually free)

------------------

clear out
3rd February 2009, 11:12 AM
Try and chase up (thru your local library or by interlibrary loan) one of the following books by Keith R Bootle.
He was with the NSW forestry but died back in '94 from memory.
The commercial timbers of NSW and their uses. 1971.
Wood in Australia. 1983.
H.

rsser
3rd February 2009, 05:47 PM
Well this is a Lazarus thread ;-}

Bootle Wood in Australia is good but really only notes if a given species is good for turnery. Coverage includes overseas timbers if available here in any quantity.

The book is still in print and a good read.