PDA

View Full Version : new wood working FAQ area

soundman
26th January 2004, 11:12 PM
New FAQ area needed.

of late we seem to be getting a number of repeat posts on several subjects.

perhaps we need a wood faq area or an faq index

skirting board scribing, dust extractor Vs shop vac and several others come to mind.

what do you recon

JackoH
27th January 2004, 08:15 AM
If members would only do a 'search' of the BB by putting in a 'key' word., they would save themselves a lot of time and effort, and probably find the answer they require. Then the rest of us wouldn't have to trawl throught the same old subject, for the umpteenth time!:mad:
Dust control and everything to do with it is a case in point. I am absolutely certain that everything anyone wanted to know about the subject has appeared on this forum over the years, and is all there for those who go looking for it!:mad:

ozwinner
27th January 2004, 05:29 PM
The subject of a FAQ was done to death last month.
And suitable given the flick by the King of this here realm.

Cheers, Al the Surf

DanP
27th January 2004, 11:15 PM
YEAH!,

If you'd done a search on FAQ you'd have known about that!!http://www.my-smileys.de/smileys_1/lach.gif

Dan

soundman
27th January 2004, 11:33 PM
yea yea.

(insert suitable smylie here) http://www.ubeaut.biz/party.gif

ubeaut
28th January 2004, 09:34 AM
Soundman - Its a great idea but as discussed before the logistics of setting up and updating such a list would be horrific and ongoing, not to mention the fact that people would still post the same questions over and over as most wouldn't look past the nose on the end of their face to save their lives.

It is entirely possible that each person thinks that their question is unique and that no one would have ever asked such a thing before.

The search engine, that should take care of the problem of repeated questions doesn't seem to be used to its full extent and in most cases, not at all, often because it is the last thing one would think of. Maybe what we need to do is see if we can get a bigger Search button, possibly one that strobes.

Cheers - Neil

PS I'm not having a go at you not doing a search, after all who in their right mind would think of searching this particular subject, I certainly wouldn't. Matter of fact I have been known to wade through dozens of posts looking for a particular one when I could have done it in a few seconds using the Search button.
Doh! http://www.ubeaut.com.au/homer1.gif

JackoH
28th January 2004, 09:39 AM
Feeling better Neil? You're being particularly polite.http://www.ubeaut.biz/waving.gif

outback
28th January 2004, 12:42 PM
Without trying to sound trite. Perhaps making the search facility a little more obvious would ease the repeat questions. As a newby here it is sometimes hard to know the correct terms to use, and when you first start to snoop around you find heaps of people asking heaps of questions and getting heaps of advice from heaps of different perspectives. Out in the big world that doesn't happen too often, so to find such a place which can help you specifically is a bit much to resist.
I know this from my first post, about the dreaded dust topic. Wayne and others helped me out heaps, I had already done a couple of searches and done several since, I have now tailored the solution for my problem.
But if you have a look another discussion is happening right now regarding cyclones.
Some topics will be forever debated here, some will raise their heads occaisonally, I sorta thought that was part of the appeal.

Thats my 2c worth anyhow.

Cheers:cool:

RETIRED
28th January 2004, 03:30 PM
Must be the medication John. :D

George
6th February 2004, 03:56 PM
I share some of Outback’s sentiments. Why is it such a sin to post on a subject that has been discussed before?

Many times the author is after slightly different information or coming from a different angle. There are often new perspectives offered by members who didn’t participate in past discussions. Often when someone responds to a question with the heavy “do a search” response, there are still a bunch of useful replies from members who are only too happy to offer help.

If the subject matter doesn’t appeal or you think it has been discussed before, there is no compulsion to read the individual posts. We shouldn’t discourage discussion, particularly from newer members.

$0.02 from me.

Cheers

George