PDA

View Full Version : first goblet

coffenup
20th April 2008, 07:46 PM
I to also turned my first goblet today out of northern silky oak finished with danish oil. Turned out the inside with a spindle gouge. I broke the stem while sanding it . Was not happy but fixed with super glue. The side walls are 2 mm thick.
thanks for looking
regards Michael

powderpost
20th April 2008, 08:26 PM
Looks good. Would look better with a rounded bowl. Still looks good. The lathe only makes the wood go round, hands hold the tools.
Jim

La truciolara
20th April 2008, 08:47 PM
For the first goblet, If Y were to be closer to where you live I'd open a bottle of Champagne.
Congratulation

BobL
20th April 2008, 09:26 PM
I'd be pretty happy with that.

One question to all, does anybody ever drink out of these wooden drinking vessels?

Skew ChiDAMN!!
20th April 2008, 10:38 PM
Nicely done. :2tsup:

One question to all, does anybody ever drink out of these wooden drinking vessels?

Certainement! But you do, admittedly, need to be pretty fussy about wood & finish selection if it's not gonna be just a decorative item. Most fruit woods, for example, tend to add to the flavour even though they're otherwise "food-safe."

BobL
20th April 2008, 11:22 PM
Nicely done. :2tsup:

Certainement! But you do, admittedly, need to be pretty fussy about wood & finish selection if it's not gonna be just a decorative item. Most fruit woods, for example, tend to add to the flavour even though they're otherwise "food-safe."

Of course - french oak hoojars for storing il vino - shoulda worked that one out for myself"

thefixer
20th April 2008, 11:25 PM
Spooky:D .Looks almost the same as my first goblet. Only been turning for a cople years now but it still sits on display in my cave to remind me of my humble beginnings. keep up the good work mate, it just gets better and better as time goes by.

Cheers
Shorty

Zarguld
20th April 2008, 11:42 PM
Looks great.:2tsup:

artme
21st April 2008, 08:18 AM
Looks PDG from where I sit!!!!

OGYT
21st April 2008, 08:19 AM
Just like Zarguld, Mate, if you don't make more, you gotta drink alone! :D