PDA

View Full Version : How do you store your sand paper

Speanwoody
20th April 2008, 11:39 PM
This question has probably been asked a dozen times before!! but how do you store you sandpaper at the lathe, I am feed up raking through the wood chips for a bit I know I had two minutes before.

BobL
20th April 2008, 11:57 PM
I unashamedly copied TTITs sandpaper tree (http://web.aanet.net.au/ttit/gadgets/gadgets.htm) but 8 paper slots are not enough and I also have 3 plastic bags hanging from cupboard knobs in front of the lathe BUT I still scrabble through sawdust looking for that good bit!

artme
21st April 2008, 08:15 AM
I store mine exactly the way you do Speanwoody!:D:D:D
Nothing wrong with the method at all except that it wastes time and can be costly when you toss goo paper out with the shavings.
Mat of mine has a row short lengths of PVC pipe anchred to a board and labelled with grit size. He puts a shortish roll in each and as the piece he is working with gets worn and diposed of he has fresh supply ready.
Must do that some day!:D:D:D

OGYT
21st April 2008, 08:26 AM
I also copied TTIT's Sandpaper Tree. It's one of those terrific ideas that really catch you and you slap yourself on the forehead, and say "why didn't I think of that".
I use Vince's blue disks, mostly, and I have some peanut cans painted and labled with the grit size. Got 10 cans on a little shelf by my grinder. Just the right size. At peanuts for two months to get the cans... :D

Alastair
21st April 2008, 12:06 PM
This is my set-up.

Simple box from mdf, with dividers, to match individual grits, for holding precut new pieces.

Blue bits are cut from a Sprite bottle, and stapled on, to hold pieces in use.

regards

orraloon
21st April 2008, 04:57 PM
I have not yet got past the rummage method. I keep in mind I have to sort out a tidier method. TTIT's tree looks to be the way to go. It is on the to do list. God it's a big list!

Regards
John

TTIT
21st April 2008, 11:40 PM
.............. God it's a big list!

Bet mine's bigger than yours :q

BobL
21st April 2008, 11:55 PM
Bet mine's bigger than yours :q

Mines got the same number of paper place holders as yours but maybe mines a bit taller?

BTW I also copied your loaded live centre and am currently eyeing the tool rack! :wink:

Sawdust Maker
22nd April 2008, 10:09 AM
Bob I think he meant list:)
I'm not game to make a list it would be too depressing and would have to buy a new pad and two or three pencils:D
and that's before SWMBO put her two cents worth in:oo:

BobL
22nd April 2008, 10:26 AM
Bob I think he meant list:)
I'm not game to make a list it would be too depressing and would have to buy a new pad and two or three pencils:D
and that's before SWMBO put her two cents worth in:oo:

I know he did but thought I'd see if he'd say something :wink:

OGYT
22nd April 2008, 01:09 PM
I added a peanut can on the tippy-top of Ern's Sanding Tree, to hold a pad of 0000 steel wool... keeps the shavings out of the wool.

rsser
22nd April 2008, 07:03 PM
There ya go Vern. We musta been separated at birth ;-}

I just have a stack of separate grits in a box with all sorts of holding doodads like split dowels as well as CA and steel wool. Find they wear out roughly the same time so I toss 'em all and start with a fresh set.

killerbeast
22nd April 2008, 08:30 PM
Well havent got any good pics of my "tower_of_sanding_power" But itīs made up of used expresso coffecans, screwed into a pice of timber aroung 180cm high. lids cut in half and marked with grit size... i rip 20-30 pices of the grit and stick them in the cans. itīs mounted in a good heavy pice of Oak standing to the side of my lathe..

Oh and the picses in use can be stuck between the rim of the cans..

will try to find pic..

dai sensei
22nd April 2008, 10:04 PM
I just ue a 75x35x200 bit of pine laid on the flat side with slots cut on the bandsaw with the 25mm blade about 10mm apart. Perfect for pieces of sandpaper folded in half from 80 to 15000 grits

Lumber Bunker
23rd April 2008, 10:21 AM
I just ue a 75x35x200 bit of pine laid on the flat side with slots cut on the bandsaw with the 25mm blade about 10mm apart. Perfect for pieces of sandpaper folded in half from 80 to 15000 grits

Sounds like we have a similar method in the store dai sensei, I'll try and remember to take a piccy today and post back tonight.