PDA

View Full Version : Worn locking lever

Tiger
21st April 2008, 12:09 PM
<TABLE id=HB_Mail_Container height="100%" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0 UNSELECTABLE="on"><TBODY><TR height="100%" width="100%" UNSELECTABLE="on"><TD id=HB_Focus_Element vAlign=top width="100%" background="" height=250 UNSELECTABLE="off">I have a Hare and Forbes lathe 900 b/w centres. The locking lever which locks the toolrest in the banjo is worn and does not give any purchase so I can't lock the tool rest in place. Are these parts easily available or better yet what could be done for a more permanent fix/solution?
</TD></TR><TR UNSELECTABLE="on" hb_tag="1"><TD style="FONT-SIZE: 1pt" height=1 UNSELECTABLE="on">
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Sawdust Maker
21st April 2008, 12:38 PM
I gave up on mine and substituted the right sized bolt and used a spanner:)

you could go one step further and drill a hole at the hex end and use a piece of rod with a nut on each end to stop it slipping out.

Calm
21st April 2008, 12:42 PM
I changed mine for a allen key set screw or bolt and the key for the SN2 chuck is the same size - 10mm thread diameter - 8mm allen key t handle. works great:D

nalmo
21st April 2008, 11:01 PM
Had the same thing happen on a relatively new MC purchased from Carbatec. Had them both replaced under warranty.

TTIT
21st April 2008, 11:52 PM
Which part is worn out Tiger??? The casting or the shaft/cam??? I would have thought a turn of the nut that holds the clamping block would take up any wear under normal use :shrug:

Tiger
22nd April 2008, 12:49 PM
<TABLE id=HB_Mail_Container height="100%" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0 UNSELECTABLE="on"><TBODY><TR height="100%" width="100%" UNSELECTABLE="on"><TD id=HB_Focus_Element vAlign=top width="100%" background="" height=250 UNSELECTABLE="off">TTIT,

The lever has something like a socket head arrangement that is designed to turn a nut but the socket head part has worn and just spins rather than do any tightening.
</TD></TR><TR UNSELECTABLE="on" hb_tag="1"><TD style="FONT-SIZE: 1pt" height=1 UNSELECTABLE="on">
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

jchappo
22nd April 2008, 07:37 PM
Had the same problem on my LEDA.
Replaced with metal one from Blackwoods.
Referred to as 'Handle clamping index lever' cost about $30 each . Ouch!!

woodwork wally
22nd April 2008, 10:10 PM
Why not go to hare and forbes in dandenong they carry spares and are helpfull regards WW Wally

TTIT
22nd April 2008, 11:16 PM
<table id="HB_Mail_Container" unselectable="on" border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" height="100%" width="100%"><tbody><tr width="100%" unselectable="on" height="100%"><td id="HB_Focus_Element" unselectable="off" background="" height="250" valign="top" width="100%">TTIT,

The lever has something like a socket head arrangement that is designed to turn a nut but the socket head part has worn and just spins rather than do any tightening.
</td></tr><tr unselectable="on" hb_tag="1"><td style="font-size: 1pt;" unselectable="on" height="1">
</td></tr></tbody></table>OK - now I'm with ya! Thought you meant the banjo lock rather than the toolrest lock. I'd have to agree with Wally on that - H&F often carry a few spares like that.

Tiger
24th April 2008, 01:27 PM
Thanks guys, I went for the nut with some rod through it, it actually gives better purchase than what came with the lathe.