PDA

View Full Version : cheap Aussie wood for thread chasing

starr
21st April 2008, 02:04 PM
I recently bought a thread chaser and have tried it on some scrap wood with little success, until I used a small bit of rosewood. I tried on some blackwood with less success.

What is a good, cheap Australian wood on which to practice? An British DVD I have suggests you buy a bunch of English box to practice on, but this is not practical over here.

orraloon
21st April 2008, 04:47 PM
I have not had a go at thread chasing but there must be free hardwood around to practice on. Old pallets(check nails are all out), Council pick up days often produce pickings, Renovations and building check the skips. Tree lopping is another source. Don't be shy scrounging is a prime woodturner's skill.

Regards
John

littlebuddha
21st April 2008, 07:26 PM
If you are going to get anywhere with thread chasing then you need some good wood, a good hard close grain, there are a few little cheats like putting thin superglue onto the wood to soak and harden will help but if you try pallet wood chances are you will waste your time. You could get some polyresin and cast some blanks and go that way. Box is the best stuff to use but is pricey, rosewood is okay anything like this, also make sure you keep your speed below 500 rpm. if you go on to http://www.johnberkeley.co.uk
John does some really nice work with boxes and is very good with hand chasing, he does a video where he shows you just how to, and shows you very well this video is well worth the money in fact its 2 dvds that you get about 5 hrs worth. Thread chasing is easy once you have watched it done and understand the best way of doing it, if not you can be there stripping what you try to put on. There are some films around on the net if you use emule PTP then search on there will bring up a sorby film on chasing you might find something on youtube as well, good luck..LB

hughie
25th April 2008, 11:02 AM
Starr,

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you. But threading cutting or chasing is not real common and so info is slow in coming.

LB's advice is very good. But, as for timber types here in Oz heres what I found.

Gidgee, Deadfinish, False Sandalwood, Crows Ash and a bit further a field Ebony and Lignum Vitae. [there are Oz equivalents ]
Also look at Chinese Elm but don't dry it right out. Cut the thread then dry it further if required.

The list is by no means final I reckon any timber with similar characteristics as these would do fine.

woolclasser
25th April 2008, 07:57 PM
gidgee,olive and huon pine with reasonable sucess and partially succeeded with blue gum. I got the male thread but couldn't get the female thread.
Jim

powderpost
25th April 2008, 10:07 PM
I have had some success with citrus tree, in particular lemon, but I am sure any of the citrus trees will do.
Jim

rodent
9th May 2008, 01:29 AM
Super glue , let dry then re cut .

Red Gum
11th May 2008, 05:10 PM
I have used hawthorne with good results. I don't know how plentifull it is. I have been able to get quite a bit of it as in the poionering days a lot was planted for hedges by our English forbears around the Central Tablands of NSW. Another is London Plain that is growing in many parts of Aust.

I have found that dense close grained and well seasoned wood is best such as fruit trees if you can stop them from spliting.

I have also found that thread chasing needs a lot of trial and error work and be ready to lose a lot of jobs for one reason or other.

Once you have got there it is very pleasing. I once made a nut and bolt and got a lot of comment back from people who are fitters and turners mechanics etc all thinking stocks and dies where used,

red Gum