PDA

View Full Version : Assembling Golding Lathe

Penpal
21st April 2008, 05:02 PM
The intermediate shaft between the Motor and the Drive Shaft on the Head Stock had been misaligned and stuffed the two bearings and the shaft.Pic shows the new shaft in the making,this time I am fitting two circlips to hold the lateral movement.
Another use for the mod with the Dremel and a cutting disk to create the groove for the circlip.

Progress taking place. Peter:2tsup:

wheelinround
21st April 2008, 06:14 PM
Peter looking good like the dremel set up

check your PM's & email's

Ray

Penpal
21st April 2008, 11:30 PM
Fitted two new bearings,completed and fitted the new shaft,captive on either side of the pulley cut the grooves,fitted two circlips,no lateral movement now.
Now have to align the motor to lay shaft at the motor end.
Lubricated the headstock bearings.
End view shows the headstock is swivelled with the motor.
Last pic indicates some of the remaining gear to locate where it fits and clean up.
Used the Dremel set up to cut the shaft to length,stainless steel rod from a photocopier rail,hard a hell but the cut off disk handled it on the dremel.
Peter:2tsup:
Sorry the last image is too big,do the extras another day.

wheelinround
22nd April 2008, 08:58 AM
Peter how much lateral movement was on the shaft
with the few Ornamental lathes I have seen the shaft moves lateral so the cutting head is pulled away from the work during the process.

Ray

Penpal
22nd April 2008, 02:00 PM
The play was in the intermediate shaft ie the lay shaft where there should be no play.
I am convinced there are ornamental lathes and decorative and hope to end the confusion in definition one day.
Booked the Friday and Saturday 14 and 15 bus to Sydney in June for WWW Show got the 15 bucks each way fares.
Take care Peter:2tsup:

wheelinround
22nd April 2008, 04:19 PM
not bad Peter now all you need is tickets

:doh: Peter Check your dates Friday 13th is the first day

http://www.workingwithwood.com.au/sydney/index.htm