PDA

View Full Version : Ta daaaah!

tea lady
21st April 2008, 06:26 PM
Went off to my turning group today. And this is what I did. I think I can call it my first turned thing as last week I only turned a practice doodad. It wasn't designed or anything. Just faced with a bit or wood to make something out of. No photo of the inside 'cause that is really bad. 'tis only made of pine. 9.5 cm tall. 4 cm wide. Finished in U-beaut's Shellawax stuff.:2tsup: Can even make pine look presentable.:rolleyes:

Next week I'm going to do some actual design drawings so I have a vague idea of what I want.:D It seems so long till Monday.:C

Groggy
21st April 2008, 06:34 PM
Funny looking teapot! :p Nah, nice job - reckon you're ready to buy your first lathe :whistling2:

Oh, and the drawings are much easier to get right after you finish building the piece :D

Calm
21st April 2008, 06:57 PM
Nah, nice job - reckon you're ready to buy your first lathe :whistling2:

Oh, and the drawings are much easier to get right after you finish building the piece :D

Any idea where one is for sale??:D:rolleyes::rolleyes::roll:

Great start to a long addiction.:2tsup::2tsup:

artme
21st April 2008, 07:23 PM
That's a pretty good first Ta-daaaah!:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

Ashore
21st April 2008, 07:33 PM
Beware and be afraid next it will be to make a pen , and then all is lost :doh:

Blocklayer
21st April 2008, 07:40 PM
Photos a bit dark
So I brightened it up a bit for you

funkychicken
21st April 2008, 10:01 PM
Not bad:2tsup:

Good to see you're starting a real hobby :q:rolleyes:

Sawdust Maker
21st April 2008, 10:30 PM
very very nice:2tsup::2tsup:
not sure I'd like to turn something to a detailed plan. I tend to let the wood dictate, ie if I have an almighty digin I hope I have enough timber left to turn it out, and still be left with something pretty
If you put a gigantic musk/incense candle in the goblet I reckon they'd sell for truckloads at the markets:o

tea lady
21st April 2008, 10:39 PM
I'm not talking DETAILED plan. Just an idea of kinda what I want. Otherwise I'll just make what I saw someone else make. Took me ages to make pottery that was MINE not impersonating someone else. Will be the same with wood I guess. Will now look at tons of books for ideas, and something will shake out.:rolleyes:

Oh! Thanks Blocklayer. I couldn't work out how to make photo shopp do that. I guess I'll read the instuctions one day.

lubbing5cherubs
21st April 2008, 10:44 PM
Nice start Great job.
Toni

nalmo
21st April 2008, 10:48 PM
Great work for starters (much better than my first efforts). Now all you have to do is figure out how to do square hollowing and you could start a whole new style of goblet making (or tea cups maybe?).

TTIT
21st April 2008, 11:47 PM
Very presentable start regardless of how the inside came up :2tsup:.
Had a look at you website and wondered how timber compares to the other mediums you've worked with??? Do you think you've found your niche or will it be just another ingredient of your art??? (or is it too early to tell??):;

tea lady
22nd April 2008, 12:28 AM
I have wanted to try wood turning for ages. Currently just want to do stuff as adjunct to my pottery. I really like the look of wood and ceramic together. Hubby looking at me like I'm nuts. Can't I just do one thing? No! Just following my nose. Looking forward to next turning group session next Monday.:happydance: Fancy looking forward to Mondays.:rolleyes:

Anne Munro
22nd April 2008, 01:07 AM
Hi Tea Lady,
Well done for joining the wood turning class. Do you mind telling me where you are doing the wood turning as I live in Nunawading which is not that far from where you live and I am always interested in wood turning classes. Also could you tell me how I can put a photo up beside any thing I write (I think it is called an avatar) or for that matter could anyone else tell me.
cheers Anne

Cliff Rogers
22nd April 2008, 09:03 AM
...could you tell me how I can put a photo up beside any thing I write (I think it is called an avatar) or for that matter could anyone else tell me....
G'day.

Go to your User Control Panel, here... http://www.woodworkforums.com/usercp.php

Look down the left hand side to find Edit Avitar...

You should be able to work it out from there.

Anne Munro
22nd April 2008, 11:18 AM
thanks Cliff,
Hopefully you can now see my beautiful girl, Princess Panda. This photo was taken while we were on the beach yesterday. She just loves the beach. Cheers Anne

Cliff Rogers
22nd April 2008, 03:14 PM
:2tsup:

Skew ChiDAMN!!
22nd April 2008, 04:27 PM
I'm not talking DETAILED plan. Just an idea of kinda what I want.

Makes perfect sense to me. :yes: You'll find that detailed plans don't really work, anyway. Not for the "artiste" or hobby turner. (Production turning is a different matter, of course.)

While turning the piece you'll often notice a nice bit of grain or a feature that'll be turned away if you follow such plans to the letter, so they're often modified on the fly to retain the feature. The results can be quite different to the original concept... but you'll have something to be proud of. :U

rsser
22nd April 2008, 05:12 PM
Great effort Anne-Maria :2tsup:

tea lady
22nd April 2008, 06:28 PM
Makes perfect sense to me. :yes: You'll find that detailed plans don't really work, anyway. Not for the "artiste" or hobby turner. (Production turning is a different matter, of course.)

While turning the piece you'll often notice a nice bit of grain or a feature that'll be turned away if you follow such plans to the letter, so they're often modified on the fly to retain the feature. The results can be quite different to the original concept... but you'll have something to be proud of. :U

Yes! I think you know what I mean. Have an idea f shape and line, but when you have the actual wood in front of you it will also influence the design. What things look like in 3D can ba quite differant too. As higher or lower view can alter the form you actually see. Kinda. :rolleyes:

I like very modern clean designs. Does anyone know any web sites I could take a gander at? Of wood turning?

hughie
22nd April 2008, 07:00 PM
I like very modern clean designs. Does anyone know any web sites I could take a gander at? Of wood turning

Anne-Maria,

Theres heaps

http://www.woodturningonline.com/Community/member_websites.php
http://www.beyondwood.com/bwd/Galleries/bwdgalleries.shtml
http://www.avisera.co.il/content/default1.asp
http://www.kestrelcreek.com/Inspirational_Links.htm?id=12&cat=Galleries%20and%20Designers
http://www.kestrelcreek.com/Inspirational_Links.htm?id=1&cat=Artists

general info
http://www.turningtools.co.uk/

there you go, this should keep you going for a bit

tea lady
22nd April 2008, 07:10 PM
Gee! Thanks Hughie. That should keep me quiet for a while. :D:2tsup:

tea lady
22nd April 2008, 07:22 PM
Hi Tea Lady,
Well done for joining the wood turning class. Do you mind telling me where you are doing the wood turning as I live in Nunawading which is not that far from where you live and I am always interested in wood turning classes. Also could you tell me how I can put a photo up beside any thing I write (I think it is called an avatar) or for that matter could anyone else tell me.
cheers Anne

'Tis not really a "class" as such. More a group. There are a couple of people there on a kind of volunteer basis showing new people how to do stuff. It is at the Knox Community Woodworkers Workshop, on Glenfern rd, Ferntree Gully. (I think they are on the internet. Isn't every one? Even my Dad.:D) They have groups for just about everything. And lots of power tools. And about 6 lathes. Annual membership is way less than the cost of a decent tool. The turning group is on Monday morning, but once I know kinda what I am doing I can come in anytime the workshops are open and use the equipment. So I shouldn't really need to get my own lathe for a while yet. (But I want one anyway.:(():D:2tsup:

RETIRED
22nd April 2008, 07:28 PM
Gee! Thanks Hughie. That should keep me quiet for a while. :D:2tsup:Haa! Impossible.:wink::D

tea lady
22nd April 2008, 07:36 PM
Can you give an administrator a reddy?:?

Cliff Rogers
22nd April 2008, 09:54 PM
Can you give an administrator a reddy?:?
Yeap but he has rep points turned off so it won't work. :D
Report his post as drivel instead. :p

tea lady
22nd April 2008, 11:52 PM
Te he he he!

Little Festo
23rd April 2008, 09:01 AM
Tea lady,

Great first attempt, keep up the good work.

Peter

tea lady
23rd April 2008, 10:33 AM
Thanks everyone.:B:U

ss_11000
26th April 2008, 01:36 AM
good work....wood and ceramic you say, i rekon your onto something there:)

BobL
26th April 2008, 01:50 AM
Also could you tell me how I can put a photo up beside any thing I write (I think it is called an avatar) or for that matter could anyone else tell me.
cheers Anne

Do you mean like this?
http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/attachment.php?attachmentid=71967&stc=1&d=1209134945

This what I do.
1) Up load picture files
2) If you scroll further down on the edit post page you will see a list of your uploaded files under the additional Options.
3) Open the file you wish to insert into your text - it opens in a new window.
4) Copy the URL from the new window.
5) Go back to the edit post page and place the cursor where you want the picture inside the post.
6) Click on the insert picture icon (Yellow box with grey mountain inside it) in the tool bar.
7) A pop up window will open and you paste the URL you copied back at step 4 into the box.
8) Click on OK and some HTML code will be inserted into your post that puts the picture in the text.
9) Check with Preview button if needed.

Cheers