PDA

View Full Version : Great router mortising jig ideas needed

Dengue
21st April 2008, 09:11 PM
Can anyone please advise and show photos or plans of a router mortising jig, either using a hand held plunge router or for a router table?

I am looking for one that is safe, accurate, has stops either end of the tool so that the lengths are exact, and will replicate the cuts every time.

What kind of router bit is recommended too?

regards to all,

Jill

watson
21st April 2008, 09:24 PM
G'day Jill,
There are quite a few on threads in the forum.
Niki...Scooter....Sturdee.....
These are members user names that have posted excellent jigs.....so if you search mortising jig combined with each of those names you should come up with a beauty.

Big Shed
21st April 2008, 09:47 PM
Jill, issue #197 of Fine Woodworking has quite a good mortising jig in it as well, it is the issue currently on the news stand.

It can be viewed here (http://www.taunton.com/finewoodworking/Workshop/WorkshopPDF.aspx?id=30243)

graham355
21st April 2008, 09:56 PM
Hi,
Have a look at the Leigh Frame mortice & tennon jig. There is a few video's which might give you some ideas.
http://www.leighjigs.com/fmt.php

Good luck,
Graham.

Template Tom
21st April 2008, 10:27 PM
"No other jig or method can match the ease, versatility and absolute precision of the FMT - Frame Mortise & Tenon jig……period! In fact, the FMT is so easy to use and so efficient, it brings professional quality mortise & tenon joinery within easy reach of any shop and any woodworker.

Simplicity and ease of use are the keys to precise joinery with the FMT. One guide, one bit and one setup are all that is required to produce the mortise and the tenon. A guide pin moves around the joint guide to form the tenon and along the centre slot of the guide to produce the mortise. It’s that easy" at what cost

There is no doubt this is a wonderful jig for producing Mortice and Tenon joints and I suppose at a price.

I have been routing Mortice and tenon joints for a number of years, only I would produce floating tenons and the cost of the templates and jigs is reduced in costs. With the use of the template guides, simple jigs can be constructed for very little costs and produced in your own workshop. I am in the process of making Dining room chairs where the mortice and tenon joint plays a prominent part in the construction. There are a variety of mortices to be completed for the material in use, and all that is required is to make a simple Jig for the purpose all from the material you may have in your workshop

Tom

Rocker
22nd April 2008, 05:49 PM
Jill,

There are plans for my precision morticing jig that can be downloaded free from my blog. - see the link below. It is best to use solid carbide spiral upcut bits, obtainable from Carbatec and McJing, for routing mortices.

Rocker

Dengue
22nd April 2008, 05:55 PM
Many thanks for this information, Rocker. The jig looks great, and I am ploughing through the Carbatec 2008 catalogue right now looking at the upcut bits :)
kind regards,
Jill

Knurl
24th April 2008, 03:57 PM
Rocker's jigs are excellent. He also has a simpler version - his Mortising Jig Lite.