PDA

View Full Version : Five corner fruit tree

Rum Pig
22nd April 2008, 02:19 PM
Hi all
I am about to get some timber from a five corner fruit tree, but I have not heard of anyone that has turned it before and I was hopping someone out there has turned some and maybe have some pics of what it looks like and any tips.

Cheers Justin:drink2:

RufflyRustic
22nd April 2008, 03:58 PM
I haven't turned any or even seen what the timber looks like under the bark, but I know the fruit is absolutely delicious, especially when tree-ripened.

I do know, however, that fruit tree wood is good.

Any chance of some pictures?

Cheers
Wendy

Skew ChiDAMN!!
22nd April 2008, 04:31 PM
Five corner fruit tree? :?

I gather you're talking about some exotic - to me - star fruit or similar, and not a basic root stock with 5 different grafts?

As Wendy said: pictures would be nice. (And fruit woods are, in general, good stuff to turn. :) )

WOODbTURNER
22nd April 2008, 06:08 PM
Five corner fruit tree? :?

I gather you're talking about some exotic - to me - star fruit or similar, and not a basic root stock with 5 different grafts?

As Wendy said: pictures would be nice. (And fruit woods are, in general, good stuff to turn. :) )

Same as star fruit Skew. Grows mad up here in north country.

Cheers

journeyman Mick
22nd April 2008, 06:37 PM
If my memory serves me correctly the fruit is sometimes sold as "carambola". It's pretty good in salads too.:2tsup:

Mick

funkychicken
22nd April 2008, 08:07 PM
Mmm.. starfruit...

Have no idea about the timber..

artme
22nd April 2008, 09:37 PM
You are correct Mick. Native to my wife's home country of Brasil.
Fruit is great, especially slightly green in curries.:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

Woodencha
23rd April 2008, 01:21 AM
"Fruit is great, especially slightly green in curries."

What sort of curries are we talking? The indian type or the Thai variety?

artme
23rd April 2008, 07:48 AM
Indian is best but mild Thai is good too!

Barry Hicks
23rd April 2008, 08:19 AM
RP, I suspect the wood is a bland white. I did some
serious pruning on a large tree once and saw no sign
of colour.

Rum Pig
23rd April 2008, 04:05 PM
Thanks for all your um help:? I do think it is a crying shame to chop down such a wonderful fruit tree:C but then again I never did get any fruit from my friend so I may as well have the timber:U. I will post some photos of the timber when I receive it and I may have a go at turning a green bowl from it so I will take photos for you to look at.:)

Cheers Justin:drink2:

prozac
23rd April 2008, 04:36 PM
Hi RP. how about a picture before it is cut down so that we can see what it is like undressed and then dressed?

prozac

Rum Pig
23rd April 2008, 05:03 PM
I have a feeling that is to late but I will find out I gave him a heap of paint to paint the ends but I have not seen his since so there is still hope.

Cheers justin:drink2: