PDA

View Full Version : sanding sealer troubles

digger
27th January 2004, 08:13 PM
Is there a special way to apply sanding sealer? i ask this because of a bad experience i had! I used feast watsons sanding sealer as specified by the labels, after it was dry i tried to sand it back by hand with 220grit paper but the sandpaper continuously kept clogging up. It was like the sealer kept softening yet it was fully dry. So i went to a coarser grade, i even had to use a belt sander with 60 grit just to remove the excess sealer and it still kept clogging the sandpaper. Even after using the belt sander i finally managed to get a reasonable result but it was the most frustrating experience i've had woodworking. So i've decided that i'll never use sanding sealer again, that is unless someone can give me some good advice.

Thanks

Sturdee
27th January 2004, 10:04 PM
I have used the sanding sealer from UBEAUT and I have not had that problem.

Peter.

soundman
27th January 2004, 11:01 PM
I'm not sure about your brand but it sounds like you are laying it on a bit thick.

sanding sealer should be considerd a surface consolidation product rather than a coating.

I find going at it with 120 gritt first bite with the random orbit is the go.

are you using no loading paper.

DarrylF
28th January 2004, 06:16 AM
I used the same product and had exactly the same experience on a coffee table maybe 2 years ago, wound up doing basically the same thing - sanding it all off and starting again. Doesn't matter what paper, hand sanding or machine it would clog incredibly quickly.

Neil's sanding sealer is basically thin shellac, which is a whole lot nicer to use. Totally different proposition.