PDA

View Full Version : Recessed panel entrance door

gcutting
27th January 2004, 10:11 PM
I am about to embark on making a recessed panel entrance door, (4 panels) from some 35mm thick meranti planks that I was able to salvage from an old library.

I wonder if others have been through this excercise and could flag any likley pitfalls that I may encounter.

Some plans or construction details would be good.

I am particularly interested in the best method to machine the bevels and tounges on the panels but any information would be appreciated.

CUTS

Ben from Vic.
28th January 2004, 11:06 AM
gcutting.

I think your best bet is to buy a book making door, I've only ever seen one, and it's in the back of the Carbatec catalogue (pg 219)
called 'Doormaking a do-it-yourself guide'.

I have a raised panel bit set, and I'd recommend that you get the panel bit, but not the rail/style bits, as I don't think they'ed be sturdy enough.

The way I see it, your basicly building a great big cabinet door, so it's going to have to be a fair bit stronger.
Strong enough to keep out the unwelcome (heavy), then strong enough to hold it's own weight while it's opening, shutting (sometimes slaming, even by accident).

If in doubt, over-engineer, then go looking for some whopping great hinges.

Try going and having a look at some door shops, see what you can learn about their construction.
I was looking at making my own front door once, so I rang one of the local door companies with some questions, and to my suprise they were reasonably helpfull.

Hope this helps :D

Ben.

arose62
28th January 2004, 11:26 AM
The Triton web site has copies of "The Triton Times".
Volume 7 has a project to make a solid timber door, which might help.

http://www.triton.net.au/images/ttimes/TRITON_TIMES_V7.pdf

Cheers,
Andrew

Phil Jennings
28th January 2004, 03:09 PM
Hi Andrew,
had a look at the Triton door plan and it uses biscuit joints instead of mortise and tenon. Do you think this is strong enough?
Best regards
Phil:confused:

gcutting
28th January 2004, 09:03 PM
Thanks Ben, Andrew, and Phil for your comments and information.

I will check in a friends copy of the Carbatec catalogue and have a brows in the Triton website.

Thanks again

:)

seriph1
28th January 2004, 11:47 PM
External door construction is a tricky one ..... determining factors like, aspect, weather, paint or stain.....

Mortise and Tenon is preferred for architectural doors, I feel.

What period are you hoping to emulate, if any?

Do you have a pic you could post of a door similar to the one you wish to build?

...and: you probably know this, but just in case: no glue on the panels and plenty of room for expansion and contraction. (this may be one reason external four panel doors have inserted mouldings)

Depending on what size you want the bevels, you can use a panel bit or table saw.

cheers