PDA

View Full Version : DJ's CA Pen Finish Tutorial

DJ’s Timber
24th April 2008, 10:50 AM
Video of how I apply CA and finish is up.

You can access them via the Woodwork Forums Videos (http://www.woodworkforums.com/showthread.php?p=724554#post724554) page where you need to be a member and signed in to access this forum.

PenTurner
24th April 2008, 09:45 PM
I applied the tutorial to a pen I turned tonight from Woody Pear, given to me from someone on the forum (thanks, I've forgotten who).
Actually had to do it twice because after finishing the first time I dropped the blank and it put a mark on it, so had to resand and re CA. But this tutorial really works well fro me, so thanks to DJ on such a thorough job.
DJ, I learnt about how to apply the burnishing cream properly and the speed of the lathe, and actually the application of the CA, the Video is fairly comprehensive, job well done, Amos:2tsup::)
Now, will someone explain how I can get Media Player to Fast Forward, the buttons so marked will not do it?! Amos:?

ciscokid
24th April 2008, 10:06 PM
Fantastic tutorial! :2tsup: The instructions are clear and easy to follow and the video is first rate. This should be made a sticky so that future turners can benefit. I spotted at least four mistakes I am making and will work this weekend to correct them. Thank you for taking your time to produce such a helpful video. :brava:brava:brava

DJ’s Timber
24th April 2008, 10:33 PM
I applied the tutorial to a pen I turned tonight from Woody Pear, given to me from someone on the forum (thanks, I've forgotten who).
Actually had to do it twice because after finishing the first time I dropped the blank and it put a mark on it, so had to resand and re CA. But this tutorial really works well fro me, so thanks to DJ on such a thorough job.
DJ, I learnt about how to apply the burnishing cream properly and the speed of the lathe, and actually the application of the CA, the Video is fairly comprehensive, job well done, Amos:2tsup::)
Now, will someone explain how I can get Media Player to Fast Forward, the buttons so marked will not do it?! Amos:?

Glad to hear that you benefited from it Amos, as for the Media Player, if you hover your mouse over the bar between the picture and the buttons where I have circled it in red you should see where the line is different and a button will appear, just click and hold while dragging it to either fast forward or rewind.

Fantastic tutorial! :2tsup: The instructions are clear and easy to follow and the video is first rate. This should be made a sticky so that future turners can benefit. I spotted at least four mistakes I am making and will work this weekend to correct them. Thank you for taking your time to produce such a helpful video. :brava:brava:brava

Also happy to hear that you benefited too Cisco, just hearing that at least 2 of you have learnt from it lets me know that it was worthwhile doing :2tsup:. Will also make it a sticky too.

Think I might start producing some short videos on how to do things, any particular areas that you guys and gals would like me to do? Let me know and I'll see what I can come up with.

PenTurner
24th April 2008, 10:37 PM
I could not resist, even though it is late, I just turned another since my last reply here, Mallee Burl. Thank you DJ! that is all I can say. Amos:):2tsup:

Groggy
24th April 2008, 10:57 PM
Nicely done DJ :2tsup:

ciscokid
25th April 2008, 08:58 PM
Think I might start producing some short videos on how to do things, any particular areas that you guys and gals would like me to do? Let me know and I'll see what I can come up with.

A short video explaining how to keep SWMBO from complaining about excessive shop time and too many shavings finding their way into the house would be extremely helpful. :roll:

DJ’s Timber
25th April 2008, 09:01 PM
Unfortunately that one is out of my expertise :B, don't have the problem of a SWMBO here as I am a single bloke who lives with 2 dogs and a cat :q:U

Big Shed
25th April 2008, 09:44 PM
DJ, finally got a bit of time to sit down and watch your video. Great effort, I learned a lot, thanks:2tsup:

I take you don't use BLO with the CA at all?

DJ’s Timber
25th April 2008, 09:51 PM
Nope, tried the BLO on a few and then tried the straight CA and just found no need for it, so I don't use it any more. Get a much better clearer finish without the BLO.

ss_11000
25th April 2008, 11:50 PM
i will check it out when i find some time DJ. Judging by Amos's reply, it sounds like a great vid:2tsup:

( if i didnt need to keep myself sane, i wouldnt be here, i would still be doing the large amount of HW piling up - so i will try to find some time to watch it, because my CA finish needs some help:( )

Touchwood
26th April 2008, 01:25 AM
A short video explaining how to keep SWMBO from complaining about excessive shop time and too many shavings finding their way into the house would be extremely helpful. :roll:

In this house it's the other way around!! The shed is SWMBO territory and she is told about dirt and wood et al taking over.............looks like you need to get her a hobby!!!

JD:D:D

Simomatra
30th April 2008, 08:42 AM
Great tutorial DJ I just hope it is not too late for me. Its well worth a green, on the way

NewLondon88
13th May 2008, 02:01 PM
Finally got a chance to see the vid and to try it out in the shop. It's one thing to hear '20 coats' .. but another thing to watch it done and see what constitutes a coat.

Tried it out on a few pieces yesterday and it looks nice..

boburt
20th May 2008, 02:46 PM
outstanding video

Thanks for sharing

DJ’s Timber
20th May 2008, 02:50 PM
Tried it out on a few pieces yesterday and it looks nice..

Nice one :2tsup:

outstanding video

Thanks for sharing

My pleasure :U

Calm
20th May 2008, 03:03 PM
Come on guys lets get this thread in the BEST OF THE BEST it is well deserved. i trhnk i voted a while ago. with plenty of votes it should make it.

Soren
20th May 2008, 10:13 PM
Many thanks DJ, now I just need to practice, practice and yet more practice, oh yes, and start cleaning up all these little bits of tissue paper :2tsup:

DJ’s Timber
20th May 2008, 10:15 PM
oh yes, and start cleaning up all these little bits of tissue paper :2tsup:

Yeah can start here if you like :innocent: :U

wheelinround
25th May 2008, 10:43 AM
Had LOML watch it DJ me too WOW :2tsup::2tsup: nice finish

Couple of questions (tounge in cheek :p)

Big lathe for little pens is it really needed :D or do you intend bigger pens.

The tissue paper

when you throw it over the back how often do you have to stop and remove it from the dogs n Cats Paws or fur.:doh:

The Spray

obviously an accelerator if it hits the dogs n cats does it make them go faster.:roll:

I downloaded it and will be added to the forum DVD I will be sending to Funky Chicken as soon as I download the other new ones.

DJ’s Timber
25th May 2008, 10:52 AM
Had LOML watch it DJ me too WOW :2tsup::2tsup: nice finish

Couple of questions (tounge in cheek :p)

Big lathe for little pens is it really needed :D or do you intend bigger pens.

The tissue paper

when you throw it over the back how often do you have to stop and remove it from the dogs n Cats Paws or fur.:doh:

The Spray

obviously an accelerator if it hits the dogs n cats does it make them go faster.:roll:

I downloaded it and will be added to the forum DVD I will be sending to Funky Chicken as soon as I download the other new ones.

Thanks wheelin

The pens are actually turned on my Jet mini and then transferred to the Vicmarc as it saves time by not have to remove collets and swapping out the centres :2tsup:

As for the paper towel, most times the glue as dried before it hits the ground or the dogs or cat :roll: :U

Crikey, I hope not, they are fast enough as it is :o have clocked Jed at just under 55kmh and Sally has a quick burst speed of almost 60kmh, don't need them to be any faster now, they would be a blur :doh:.

I am sure that Funky will be rapt to receive the videos, kudos to you for doing so

funkychicken
25th May 2008, 04:50 PM
I am sure that Funky will be rapt to receive the videos, kudos to you for doing so

Sure will!

Made a Click Cap American yesterday and using Matt88s method... I Finally Got a good CA finish! Only took 10 pens to get there:roll::doh:

ss_11000
25th May 2008, 06:38 PM
great video and even better pen. glad i watched it ( although i didnt watch DJ finish the second barrel ).

thanx DJ

cheers

wheelinround
26th May 2008, 10:11 AM
when I downloaded the video it took over 1/2 hr and showed that it was just a tad over 3 gig for a 250meg file. :? although the file in the folder shows as it should be.

DJ’s Timber
26th May 2008, 12:45 PM
I'll have a look into it when I get home tonight wheelin, thanks for pointing it out :2tsup:

gawdelpus
14th July 2008, 12:53 PM

Do what I did ,get your SWMBO into the workshop, I did that and got the mrs involved in pen making to keep her off my metal lathe, now she complains if I want to use her wood lathe ,hehe :2tsup:

Toasty
4th August 2008, 08:54 PM
Bloody awesome video, DJ. Makes me want to give the CA method a try now wheras in the past the instructions I've found seemed too tedious.

Simomatra
6th August 2008, 05:35 PM
I see ya gone international DJ, what a star.:2tsup::2tsup:

Groggy
6th August 2008, 06:20 PM
...have clocked Jed at just under 55kmh and Sally has a quick burst speed of almost 60kmh, ...tied 'em up to the yoot and forgot huh? :doh:

:D:p

sgygi
30th September 2008, 09:58 AM
DJ,
May I ask where you purchase your Rustin's Burnishing Cream? I have not been able to find it locally.
Thanks for your help.
SGygi

DJ’s Timber
30th September 2008, 08:43 PM
DJ,
May I ask where you purchase your Rustin's Burnishing Cream? I have not been able to find it locally.
Thanks for your help.
SGygi

You'll probably have trouble sourcing some from the states as it is a UK product and from what I have heard from others, it is rare as rocking horse droppings over there.

I get mine from the importer here in Australia at The Woodsmith (http://www.rustins.com.au/rustins/home.html)

Most guys from the states use Meguiar's Swirl Remover (http://www.meguiarsdirect.com/product_detail.asp?T1=MEG+SWIRL+16) and Swirl Free Polish (http://www.meguiarsdirect.com/product_detail.asp?T1=MEG+POL+32) as well I think

munruben
30th October 2008, 10:47 AM
Video of how I apply CA and finish is up, there is 2 available for to watch, a big 220MB better quality WMV or a 44MB Flash Player one.

You can access them via the Woodwork Forums Videos (http://www.woodworkforums.com/showthread.php?p=724554#post724554) page where you need to be a member and signed in to access this forum.Went to the thread but the link to the download for the video is not working.

LB75
22nd January 2009, 06:51 AM
Great tutorial. I took my third crack at it last night and nailed it.

For those that use the CA finish, is there a preferred brand of CA you use, or will any CA do the job?

PenTurner
26th January 2009, 02:23 PM
LB75, this has been debated in other threads, general opinion is that the cheaper CA's from el cheapo shops are not as good as the more expensive ones from the Pen suppliers. Amos

shazzkim
13th February 2009, 05:27 PM
Sweet tutorial. Just a couple of things I thought you missed. There was no sticking the paper towel to your finger and then having to soak it in acetone to get it off and also you didn't let the flannel get caught and wrap itself around the blank and spoil the finish. Great job though. Tried this method and instant success. You are a genius.
Kim