PDA

View Full Version : GMC Screw Gun

leeton
24th April 2008, 03:28 PM
Gday all,
Looking at the GMC Drywall Screw Gun,
http://www.gmcompany.com.au/index.cfm?module=products&pid=567
do you reckon it would be suitable for roofing screws?:?

Dean
24th April 2008, 09:29 PM
Not sure mate but Ryobi make a TEK driving gun for that purpose that might suit?
Model ESD600K.

journeyman Mick
25th April 2008, 12:53 AM
Screw guns for roofing and gyprock are two different animals. It would have too high revs and not enough torque for roofing screws.

Mick

sports fan
25th April 2008, 11:15 AM
ya probably better off getting a 14v or 18v cordless drill/driver.. hook onto ya belt/ nail bag when yer on the roof much easier than dragging a lead around behind ya

leeton
28th April 2008, 12:01 PM
Thanks for all your replies...I will take on board.:)

keithvan
28th April 2008, 12:16 PM
HI'YA LEETON,

Don't waste your money, I have one of these, and they are not very good for plaster. No good at all for roofs.
Keith

Bloss
28th April 2008, 09:02 PM
Roofing screws - doesn't everyone use a hammer? :D

barney118
5th May 2008, 08:45 PM
I bought a Ryobi tek screw gun and just completed a reroof with 1200 screws and couldnt be happier. I was going to purchase a dewalt 18V cordless (because I want one !) but talking to my roofer mate recommends using the electric option. Just be careful of the cord somehow catching on a sharp or edge of the sheeting otherwise nothing to worry about. I should have bought one years ago.

whats the ol saying right tool for the right job.

Dean
5th May 2008, 09:03 PM
Last time I did a pergola roof I tried the cordless option. Worked ok but switched to the corded screw gun about 1/3 of the way through. Although you have to fiddle with the cord, generally its no real problem, and corded gives more consistent power and ended up being faster for me.