PDA

View Full Version : Chloe :)

crocky
24th April 2008, 03:56 PM
Hi,

It ain't a real girl, it's a piccy of our Jack Russell http://vectric.com/forum/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif

This is all METRIC and it works http://vectric.com/forum/images/smiles/icon_razz.gif

This is the first real Lithophane that I have done on 6 mm Corian, Glacier White.

I have some adjusting to do yet, but the signs are good.

30 degree v-bit configured as a ball nose of .78

wheelinround
24th April 2008, 06:38 PM
Thats brilliant Crocky fantastic stuff :2tsup:

crocky
24th April 2008, 07:59 PM
I think it is good too :)

I think I may have found my calling now and I like making them heaps so that is good for this invalid user :) now tidy up a few more loose ends and see if we can turn it into a product with a resale value :)

WillyInBris
24th April 2008, 08:03 PM
Good work bob :2tsup: good to see your getting the hang of the software.

Can I also ask whom you got roundnose bit from i have been looking but haven't been able to find them that small :-

Sean

crocky
24th April 2008, 10:04 PM
Hi Sean,

One cut and quote "30 degree v-bit configured as a ball nose of .78" it was a 30 degree vee-bit and the reason it is configured as a ball was just to make it in one pass and be reasonably detailed.

Worked a treat :)

rodm
25th April 2008, 03:04 AM
Great work Bob. :2tsup:
Been waiting for this one to be shown.

I haven't done a litho so I'm a bit lost on your technique. By nominating a ball cutter but using a V bit how does it speed up the cutting?

I also noted you take 6mm depth per pass - don't your toes curl under when it digs in 6mm with such a fine tip? Mine would. :D

How long did it take to cut?

Sorry lots of questions.

Oh yeah the Jacky is a great little dog too.

crocky
25th April 2008, 11:42 AM
Hi Rod,

This one has been a while coming but worth the wait, you can see the attempt that stopped at about 50% on one edge of it if you look real hard!

The way I read it, it is the way to configure the cutters, I don't know exactly why but it works. I did a fair bit of reading too :)

It is important to use the smallest size you can though and the 6 mm per pass means that it is done in one pass and that is why 30 deg bit and running at about 12000 rpm.

The time taken was about 3 hours which was pretty good.

rodm
25th April 2008, 02:37 PM
Hi Bob,
Thanks for the information. Looks like I have more reading to do.

I see your Corian is 6mm so I assume that the 6mm depth of pass is just to guarantee it runs over the job just once - in other words it did not cut down to a 6mm depth otherwise we would see holes in the Corian.

What are your plans from here? Artificial lighting or mount it near a window?

crocky
25th April 2008, 03:15 PM
Going to do another one of the Jack Russell :)

Yep, I think the deepest cut was around 3.0mm odd.

I could not find anything in the market over here so I have been talking to a woman in China to get the price of backlit LED type frames with a plug pack. Looks good and about 7" x 5" so they will take a 6" x 4" photo size. Just waiting on a few more photo's before I say go ahead. Got to get into importing now!

They use about 10 LED's and look fairly good and should be able to market them with the LED frames and make a really unique personalised momento. I will probably market just the frames too, so there will be some available if they are needed by my buddy's :).

rodm
25th April 2008, 09:19 PM
From a machine builder to an importer in less than a year. :2tsup:
This hobby takes us in all directions.

crocky
26th April 2008, 10:22 AM
Yeah, it is good when a bloke has found something that he can do :D with his disability not taken into account :)

The importation is a case of have to because there just aint any available, luckily I kept my Company registered and it was on permanent hold so it should come in handy now.

Outsider
30th April 2008, 02:47 PM
Hi Crocky

Lithopanes look good and so does yours.

Was the actual Vbit .78 of a mm in diameter or was that just the number used.

Thanks

Brian

crocky
30th April 2008, 09:22 PM
Hi Crocky

Lithopanes look good and so does yours.

Was the actual Vbit .78 of a mm in diameter or was that just the number used.

Hi Brian,

It was just the number that was used, I think you need to have some form of a cut that has a clearance of some sort. The Vbit was just a 30 degree included angle :)

crocky
23rd May 2008, 12:06 PM
Here is the final lithophane of Chloe.

It was made just a bit deeper and the size is the special lithophane backlight frame of 152.8mm x 102mm which is pretty well equal to a 6" x 4" photograph :)

Still getting a few minor things sorted and it is real close now :)

rodm
23rd May 2008, 10:29 PM
Looks great Bob.
Hope you are going to bring it along to the Melbourne meet tomorrow.

crocky
24th May 2008, 04:41 PM
Hi Rod,

Yep, I did take it to the meeting :) and met you there too :)

crocky
7th July 2008, 09:54 AM
Well the lithophane's are now for sale now that the Special Lithophane Backlight Frames are finally here!

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Lithophane-CNC-Personalised-Lamp_W0QQitemZ320270799109QQihZ011QQcategoryZ130626QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1638Q2em118Q2el1247

This is the only income I have so be gentle :)

rodm
7th July 2008, 11:05 AM
Hi Bob,
They look great. All the best with your new venture. :2tsup:

Greolt
7th July 2008, 06:37 PM
Hope you sell bucket loads Bob :U