PDA

View Full Version : Norm's safety spiel

craigb
28th January 2004, 11:48 AM
At the start of each episode of NYW, Norm does his safety spiel about the importance of knowing your tools and using them safely, which I'm sure is laudable.

However, I've yet to see him use a gaurd on his table saw and he will regularly reach across a spinning blade.

Now I realise that he probably has to remove the gaurd so that we can see the cut, but surely he should say something like:

"For demonstration purposes the gaurd has been rmoved, however you should always use a gaurd on your table saw"

I just think that a novice watching the show would think that it's o.k. to run a table saw without a gaurd because "hey, that's
what Norm does".

TOMARTOM
28th January 2004, 12:50 PM
I am not defending Norm entirely but when I do rabbets on my table saw I have to remove the guard as the wood would not be able to complete the cut. I am concerned though for those that may watch the show and nor understand how saw works, ie the grind of the blade the purpose of the riving knife and the material characteristics put through the saw. I out of habit stand to the left side of the saw when cutting, and ALWAYS use push sticks/SHOES when using the saw ALWAYS, ALWAYS......

Please remember what the moderator/owner of the forum has said about commenting on others, as here in Aus we understand the value and culture of having a dig, but no so in some other countries. I say this with concern for the users of the forum not to bu confused with critisism.

regards

Tony

silentC
28th January 2004, 01:35 PM
It's a case of do what I say, not what I do.

I did something today that was potentially fatal, totally un-woodwork related, but something that I was confident I could get away with. However, I would never tell anyone what I did or how I did it in a public forum because I would consider that to be irresponsible.

Craig, you're right: he should either make a point of stressing the importance of using the saw with the guard in place whenever possible, or he should have the guard in place. When he has to remove it for rabbeting etc. he should again stress the inherent danger of the practice.

Otherwise it sets a bad example and makes his safety talk-up hypocritical.

TOMARTOM
28th January 2004, 04:31 PM
Yes this is true, but in order for users of woodworking machinery it is advisable to understand the concept and techniques used, as telling someone"don't do that it is dangerous", will not inform the person as to why or why not, in which case the user can better make a decision understanding concept.

regards
Tony

silentC
28th January 2004, 04:46 PM
In this case, the 'why' should be fairly obvious, even to people who still have all ten fingers and thumbs. :D

Dusty
28th January 2004, 07:57 PM
Watching his Normness in action I reckon he has never had a guard on the saw. He looks pretty comfortable with it.

As for the spiel he does at the start of each show, my missus can rattle the whole thing off word for word, including all of the actions.

Luckily for me, she's a whole heap more attractive than Norm.:D

TOMARTOM
28th January 2004, 09:03 PM
I guess everyone to their own if you can get through life being told do this and don't do that , then good luck to you, for those that would like to understand more than that then that is great too.
I personally like to understand something also, because it helps me to make an informed judgment on a set of circumstances, not necessarily pertaining to woodwork.
Your point is valid espacially to children who at the tender young age unable to understand concepts and related consequences, and therefore it is wise to give desisive instruction, waiving the details,(especially for example if there is a 5 foot snake between you and your child, as could be the case where we are in the bush).

enough said
regards

tony

Tonyz
28th January 2004, 10:28 PM
Silent C did it have something to do with babies and crocidiles?:rolleyes:

SteveI
12th March 2004, 10:40 PM
I also notice Norm only ever talks about safety glasses - never heard anything about hearing protection (no pun intended - well okay it was!)

Given the decibels pumping out of circular saws and routers, he should be wearing ear muffs or similar.

Notice he sometimes does on the router.

Having worked in an industry with noise, let me urge younger readers to wear hearing protection - you'll find it a bloody nuisance later if you don't.

ozwinner
13th March 2004, 11:41 AM
Some months back I bought a 15" thinneser, when a friend of my wifes came to have a look she said, "thats dangerous, what stopping you from putting your arm inside of it "
The reply was, 'common sense............you wouldnt put your arm into a lions mouth, its no different"
She wasnt convinced.
We all know how dangerous machinery can be, so we all have total respect for it.

Cheers, One armed Al

Sturdee
13th March 2004, 04:36 PM
..... she said, "thats dangerous, what stopping you from putting your arm inside of it "

Must have been a blond.

Peter.

ozwinner
13th March 2004, 04:42 PM
Depends on which day you see her....:D :D :D :D