PDA

View Full Version : Suggestion? for our troops Peace making efforts

lubbing5cherubs
24th April 2008, 06:09 PM
Hi Guys, With anzac approaching this got me thinking. I know the US guys support there troops with making them pens and donating them as a gift. Would you Aussie be interested in helping me make some pens for the aussie troops that are over seas at the moment keeping our country safe with peace keeping missions. Would you be interested in helping me make some? If you guys would like to be part of this PM me. I am more than happy to man this. I have spoken to the one townsville chaplain here today who is prepared to help me to get the pens to the troops oversea. Anyone else interested in joining me helping me do this for our country men in service that are missing their families to be there for us?
Toni

Names down to participate:-

Lubbing5cherubs
woodenink
artme (yet to confirm)
big shed
rodl
dj timbers
sawdust maker
sundowner

PenTurner
24th April 2008, 06:16 PM
Toni, good suggestion, willing to make some, even engrave if needed or if we have names. Amos

lubbing5cherubs
24th April 2008, 06:22 PM
thanks for your offer. i was considering getting engraved on each one thank you

but I am going to get busy too.
Toni

PenTurner
24th April 2008, 06:52 PM
Toni, if they get down to me, I will do them, Amos

artme
24th April 2008, 06:59 PM
Great idea Toni! The Americans do it. Why can't we?:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:
Will PM you later>

Big Shed
24th April 2008, 07:49 PM
I will be in that, will PM Toni.

rodl
24th April 2008, 07:50 PM
Toni
Count me in PM sent

Rod

lubbing5cherubs
24th April 2008, 08:01 PM
Wow I am so glad that us Aussie feel the same as me. I never expected this kind of a result so quick but it is something we can all do here to say thank you
Toni

DJ’s Timber
24th April 2008, 08:18 PM
Put me down too Toni

dazzler
24th April 2008, 08:33 PM
hi Toni

from my experience make sure you have a strong person who will take care of it overseas and make sure it gets to the troops you want. We found that those of us out in the remote/front rarely got things sent from aus.

Work out specifically who you want them to get to and target that section with each one for a specific person. May be difficult logistically, but definately worth the effort.

cheers and good luck

PenTurner
24th April 2008, 09:06 PM
Dazzler, if you have contacts or the know how, let Toni know. Amos
PS, if you get can get down to names I will engrave them on. Amos

Sawdust Maker
24th April 2008, 09:49 PM
count me in - could probably do one or two
what's your timeframe?
PS do you really need a pm?

sundowner
24th April 2008, 10:14 PM
i am in toni .have 10 slims ready now if wanted.can possibly get loggi officer to assist with tindal personell

lubbing5cherubs
24th April 2008, 11:23 PM
The time frame is sort of something I have not sort of at all. It kind of just progressing as the day progresses what are your thoughts on a fair timeline?
Toni

lubbing5cherubs
24th April 2008, 11:27 PM
Dazzler Wrote:- from my experience make sure you have a strong person who will take care of it overseas and make sure it gets to the troops you want. We found that those of us out in the remote/front rarely got things sent from aus.

Hi Dazzler, I have been in contact with a chaplain. I thought that a guy like him we could trust would you agree. Look Guys I am open to suggestiones here. This is new to me too. So thanks for that Dazzler
Toni

PenTurner
25th April 2008, 12:36 AM
I would prefer direct addresses , names etc. I trust the chaplain, but along the way I am not sure who may pilfer things meant for those in the trenches, Amos

Cruzi
25th April 2008, 12:53 AM
Dazzler is right, very little reaches frontline troops, it gets pilfered and taxed by the supply chain long before it reaches them.

Try to get them to the Sallyman (Salvation Army officer), they are a godsend and will get them to frontline troops.

The Sallyman is different to Chaplains, he actively seeks out the frontline troops and provides real comforts, like toilet paper, hot brews and biscuits, something soldiers really, really appreiciate after a while in the field.

lubbing5cherubs
25th April 2008, 09:28 AM
mate this is even a more wow for me. The man I was talking to yesterday Sgt Johnstone is the salvation army officer but I did not want to bring into religon so I said chaplain for broad spectrum. This to me makes this whole thing look, even more like God's timing and idea. I had been turning this idea since starting pen turning and seeing the US doing it I thought of our peace keepers to me they are very near to my heart but I never knew how to get it started and then yesterday he came and talked at my children's school and I approached him. Something I never do.
Now your comment is even further confirmend God's hand in this more so thank you

Slyffer
25th April 2008, 08:01 PM
Count me in.:)

Slyffer

PenTurner
25th April 2008, 08:50 PM
Toni, contact that Chaplain and get some concrete directions; meanwhile, while the soldiers are in the trenches we will be in our workshops turning pens. Amos:)

dazzler
25th April 2008, 08:51 PM
Yep salvo's can be trusted and be sure there will be no sermon thrown in.

I was always amazed when we were fighting some fires in Curtin in canberra in the early 90's. Thick smoke and flames everywhere and this sally taps me on the shoulder and gives me a cup of tea. he had set up his little tea wagon as close as he was allowed and was walking into the smoke to hand them out. :2tsup:

Groggy
25th April 2008, 09:09 PM
I don't know anyone in the Services who would bad-mouth a Salvo. Like Dazzler, I have been in some remote and disgusting places in 50deg heat and a Salvo has popped up with his wagon. Can't pass them by without dropping something in the tin. :2tsup:

Penpal
25th April 2008, 09:21 PM
I am in and would nominate my nephew who is back from Timor will be reassigned soon,I will contact my sister and get his full particulars through her,I will post the pen to get the name engraved and pay postage back to me and I will forward the pen to the person or persons.This way it will remove the process of to you to Melbourne to you to Salvoes to him etc.
This way I will get feedback and report when completed. Now if another method is employed quite some costs will have to be met and poor Amos will go nuts trying to engrave until the cows come home.
Please explain Peter:2tsup:

Mrs Woodpecker
25th April 2008, 09:37 PM
Count me in.
Great thought.
Cheers,
Shirley

madmix
25th April 2008, 10:15 PM
Hi Toni,
Having son and his mates return from afghanistan, I have gifted a few
308 cartridge pens on there return. I dont know that the cartridge
pens would be able to be sent overseas as all goods go through customs.
If you are looking at all O/S personell, then you are looking at a
considerable number of pens. If you are looking at a specific unit,
then perhaps your chaplain friend may be able to put you in contact
with the spousal/relative contact for that unit with the possibility
of arranging direct post (FREE).
Cheers Mick

David Mitchell
25th April 2008, 11:10 PM
Yes I will be in,Could put name on clip.
Regards
D M

Allan at Wallan
26th April 2008, 01:01 PM
Hi Toni,

Count me in for a couple ... just let me
know when you want them.

Allan

I once stole a calendar - and got 12 months.

PenTurner
26th April 2008, 05:13 PM
I made these three specially for them, I do have others made and unmade for them, thought I would share these three out of the Historical Ferntree Gully Pine Tree. (Your basic Pine tree). Also the finish is as per DJ's CA finish video. Amos. Haven't engraved them yet. Amos:)

ShepV11A
26th April 2008, 05:38 PM
I'm in the Army and have friends in both Iraq and Afghanistan. If you want I can get the addresses for specific groups. Names are more of an issue due to OPSEC. The supply chain is actually not bad in regard to mail. So if you send it to individual groups it will get there. However how they distribute it would be up to them.

Regards Shep

Penpal
26th April 2008, 06:03 PM
How really significant would those pens be going to service people from Melbourne,timber Victorian etc What do you think?
Regards Peter:2tsup:

DJ’s Timber
26th April 2008, 07:59 PM
Seems that this is starting to get a bit big, maybe bigger then what Toni expected.

I have had some PMs or emails from a couple of concerned members that this may be a bit too much for Amos to have to engrave the pens and I agree on this point, in fact I don't want mine engraved at all.

And also may be too much logistically for Toni as well, might be best if we can have a member of each state who can nominate to receive all the pens and then they can be forwarded on to the relevance department after all the pens are in.

We also need to get some firm confirmation from some departments about how the pens are going to be distributed. As Dazzler and others have said, some things don't always get to the frontline.

What do you think? I think there needs to be some more discussion and planning before we all start getting too carried away.

lubbing5cherubs
26th April 2008, 08:04 PM
I agree I did not expect the reaction we are getting. I must admit to feeling ovewhelmed but it all but I know it is a great cause these men are doing a great job and I want to let them know it is appreciated
Toni

Touchwood
26th April 2008, 08:13 PM
Hi one and all
I too am happy to whip up some pens for the cause - am also happy to collect and re direct pens from over here in the West (although there are not many on this particular forum from the best side of the country!!!!:D:D:D).

Like DJ, I'd just as prefer mine didn't get engraved - Amos has enough to do without being inundated!!

Toni, will PM my address to you incase you have misplaced in your moves

JD

PenTurner
26th April 2008, 08:14 PM
I am willing to represent Victoria, and what I was thinking re Engraving was, "Thank you Aussie", but only if the donor so wanted it. Amos:)

madmix
26th April 2008, 09:06 PM
Maybe Shep could find out how many troops are currently serving
overseas, Im guessing it will exceed 1000 combined forces.

cheers Mick

Clinton1
26th April 2008, 09:19 PM
The Government has approved the deployment of approximately 4000 Australian Defence Force personnel to 11 operations overseas and within Australia to protect Australia and its national interests.

About 750 ADF personnel in Timor Leste, 1540 in Iraq, 1025 in Afghanistan, 140 in solomon Islands, 12 in Israel/Lebanon, 25 in Sinai, 15 in the sudan, + a fair few others in various locations with the UN/whatnot.

http://www.defence.gov.au/

:) :D

Groggy
26th April 2008, 09:31 PM
Guys, I agree with DJ. Whilst I support the sentiment there are certain practicalities that need to be thought about. There are over 4000 troops deployed at present to:

OP Astute in Timor-Leste - 750,
OP Azure in Sudan - 15,
OP Paladin in Israel/Lebanon - 12,
OP Mazurka in the Sinai (Egypt) - 25,
OP Catalyst in Iraq - 1540,
OP Slipper in Afganistan - 1025,
OP Anode in the Solomon Islands - 140,
plus the crews of ships deployed in the regions.

Since the deployed Defence members (Air Force and Navy too don't forget, not just soldiers) rotate every few months the numbers quickly escalate. I think we would not be able to make pens fast enough, as much as we'd like to.

However, each base will have a recreation area where they will gather and have a beer or soda, it may be possible to provide something for those areas that demonstrate our thanks - a plaque or similar item they can view in the rare moments they relax.

madmix
26th April 2008, 09:57 PM
Thanks Clinton, thats way more than I thought, plus there is
continual rotations.

Does anyone have any contacts in areas of corporate sponsorship
to offset cost of kits (Banks might be looking for a bit of good PR,)

I can cut and donate some blanks (I wont specify a number yet until
I see just where this thread is going).

cheers Mick

lubbing5cherubs
26th April 2008, 10:20 PM
I know there is a lot of guys involved but the old saying is we can't change the world but we can do a little bit to help might be helpful here we might not reach every man helping us out but the men we do will feel blessed that we thought of them.
One guy at a time.
Toni

DJ’s Timber
26th April 2008, 10:22 PM
Whoa lets slow down a bit here, I don't think Toni was talking about supplying 4000 pens or for that matter a 1000.

As I said in my previous post,
I think there needs to be some more discussion and planning before we all start getting too carried away.I'll need Toni to jump in here and confirm this, but I think she was just talking about 1 or maybe 2 pens from anyone who wanted to participate, which would then be passed on to a few lucky ones.

I'm certainly not going to start turning out 100 pens even if someone was to donate the blanks and kits.

I think the first thing to do is to get some firm confirmation that these pens will get to where we want them to go and some guidelines on what we want to achieve.

At this stage I am happy to donate 2 pens from my collection.

lubbing5cherubs
26th April 2008, 10:43 PM
I agree with DJ I know with all realistic we can't do 4000 pens or something like that and I don't expect youbut we can touch a few lives and make them feel special. You can make 2 or 20 or whatever you feel you want to contribute but this does not have to be anything large this is just something small we can do. or even 1 pen donated whatever you feel like doing is fine.

Or another idea the service man in our forum here. I know there is a few of you amongst us perhaps you can put us in touch with a couple of batallion or group whatever they are called to give there group a pen.

I know we cannot reach all the men in the army, raaf, and navy but we can a few and that all we can do.
Toni

PenTurner
27th April 2008, 12:06 AM
Ok, Toni, I have made contact with one person, who can make sure that they get to one hundred men in one particular company, is it ok with you if I persue that line, and is it ok if some Victorians want to send the pens to me, the person said I could just put the name of the company on the side, and that is no problem with me, I just need your permission to go ahead with that, if I receive more than a hundred, the person has also contact with more companys in Afghanistan and i would then persue that, If you give me permission to go ahead on the Victorian side,
I would also make a list of all pens received and publicly acknowledge them here on the Forum. I will also attempt to have a report from the person in charge when they actually make it to the front line.
Amos:):2tsup:

lubbing5cherubs
27th April 2008, 12:51 AM
Yes that is fine with me. IT a starting point. GOod on you Amos.
Toni

Simomatra
27th April 2008, 10:43 AM
I am a bit behind but count me in. I have not turned a pen for a while but have some already made that can go.

This is a great idea.

NewLondon88
27th April 2008, 11:04 AM
I could send a couple from here too. (if you don't think they'd mind pens from a Yank..):p

Jim Carroll
27th April 2008, 11:10 AM
Toni with the american pens they have a contact in america who then sends them to a particular contact in Iraq. They are then distributed from there.

There is a lot of personal cost involved in getting the pens from you to them so they need to go in bulk lots.

I read recently that there was over 74,500 pens made in the last 4 years

There are no names put on the pens it is more the thought that someone at home appreciates the thought for what they are doing over there. You could put a tag on each pen with the makers name and the species or material names on it.

Because the service people work on rotations it is sometimes hard for the american person to get a continious contact. I am unsure if the chaplans work the same way in that they rotate like the service people do as this may be a better way of getting contacts.

For more information go to

http://www.freedompens.org/

PenTurner
27th April 2008, 03:12 PM
Toni, has given ok to send pens to me to pass on, I will check and see if she wants all contributors to send to me or just some, and then will advise by PM my address, if you are from Vic and know my address you can send immediately. Amos
The Sgt. I am sending to, is in Iraq serving, his mate in here has highly recommended him as faithful to pass the pens to the troops. Amos:):2tsup:

PenTurner
27th April 2008, 05:25 PM
Ok, Toni says for all pens to be sent to me at the moment, so I will PM all who have volunteered, If I missed you just PM me or put it on this thread that you need my address. Amos:)
:)

Penpal
27th April 2008, 07:16 PM
If a person with a name is serving in a war situation and that name is on the pen it could compromise them.
All the best Peter.

Fireman sam
27th April 2008, 08:09 PM
hi amos please count me in and pm me your address and how many pens
Thanks Andrew:2tsup:

Studley 2436
27th April 2008, 08:46 PM
If you want to engrave or stamp pens it would be much better to put something like Anzac Pen 2008 or something like that.

Back to the issue I have some timber I can zip up for blanks if it is any use. I did pass some timber out a fair while ago which I sent to one guy (can't remember who) and he got it around to the list so everyone got some. I think it was Toni who sent me a pen for my daughter when she got her pen license. Today it is one of her most prized possessions.

Anyway I work on a metal lathe so no point there to try doing pens the boss would be real jack of that real fast anyhow, but I can send some blanks off to help out. For the most part it will be Grey Gum and Northern Beech. Both nice timbers with nice grain structure.

I spose I could come up with one of two hundred blanks. No loss to me apart from a bit of time and a bit of power. That's because most of my woodwork is making furniture. There are lots of nice offcuts that would turn into really nice pens here.

Give me a size though, from memory it is 150x15x15, but I do have a fair bit of 12.5 mm board that is really nice but no good for panels and so on.

Studley

lubbing5cherubs
27th April 2008, 09:37 PM
What we were thinking of Amos and I was more along the line of "thank You" or something like that
Toni

Sir Stinkalot
27th April 2008, 09:56 PM
Sounds like a good idea ..... Amos could you please PM your details and I will see what I can come up with. I will have to raid the pen kit box and see what I can make but it should be at least one or two.

Cheers

Stinky.

PenTurner
27th April 2008, 09:58 PM
The contact I have has said just the name of the Company would be good enough, e.g. "ABC Unit" or along Toni's suggestion, "Thank you, ABC unit"
Amos.
The person I am dealing with is in the Army and also we are sending to someone on the field, I will doubly consult with him before putting anything on the pens, We will not put anything on that would compromise the safety of the unit and or the overall mission involved. Please be assured of that. Amos

Clinton1
27th April 2008, 10:10 PM
if you want to engrave.... what about ... "Thanks mate"

PenTurner
27th April 2008, 10:12 PM
Studley, thanks for the offer of the blanks, maybe if someone wants some they ought to PM you stating they want some to make some Anzac pens and you could take it up, Thanks Amos

Touchwood
28th April 2008, 12:48 AM
Studley 2436
Back to the issue I have some timber I can zip up for blanks if it is any use. I did pass some timber out a fair while ago which I sent to one guy (can't remember who)

That was DJ

and he got it around to the list so everyone got some. I think it was Toni who sent me a pen for my daughter when she got her pen license. Today it is one of her most prized possessions.

I'm glad she still has the pen and likes it! :D:D She must be needing a refill by now!

Toni and Amos - has a time frame been set for this project?

JD

PenTurner
28th April 2008, 11:02 AM
:2tsup:The sooner the better, do it ASAP, but also keep in mind that there are many servicemen out there and if anyone wants to, they can keep making and sending and I or someone else will keep sending them out. Our friends in the States have something like that going for whoever wants to donate, and as we read in Jim's post, they have made many for their soldiers. I think we on this Island can do the same for our troops, it is great to see so much genuine desire to encourage them in some way. Amos:):2tsup:

sundowner
28th April 2008, 12:54 PM
morning amos pens on the way pm sent
cheers graham

Allan at Wallan
7th May 2008, 08:47 PM
Hi Amos,

Posted three to you on Saturday morning.

Regards,

Allan

I once stole a calendar - and got 12 months.

Simomatra
12th May 2008, 04:02 PM
Posted 4 today.

PenTurner
26th May 2008, 09:46 PM
Picture and letter of thanks from troops in the other thread. Amos:)

PenTurner
30th May 2008, 01:03 PM
See the other thread for recent pens sent off, Amos:)

PenTurner
1st June 2008, 04:32 PM
Posted another letter in other thread, "Pens For Afghanistan" Amos:)

PenTurner
12th June 2008, 02:46 PM
In the other thread is new post re new country , Afghanistan. Also requests for pens and /or kits for those who desire to help in someway, Amos-just PM me, Amos:):2tsup:

friskymonsta
26th July 2008, 08:16 AM
G'day
As a soldier that has been to that lovely country a few times, i think what you are doing is good and i know that they really appreciate that people here actually think about and care that they are doing their job for the country, We understand that not everyone agrees with us being there and some of us don't agree either but we still go because its our job. Knowing that their is people like you out there that care about soldiers and are willing to make pens for them is awesome considering the time, effort and expense in making a pen.
I thank you for its people like you are what make australia GREAT. :2tsup:

lubbing5cherubs
16th August 2008, 11:43 AM
thanks Frisky. We are agree Australia is great
Toni

Pasho
26th September 2008, 10:08 PM
I have 3 to go PM me details