PDA

View Full Version : Honing Guides

DaveInOz
28th January 2004, 02:14 PM
I have an EZE LAP diamond plate to sharpen my gear on. I've been doing this by hand and getting useable results on my chisels but now I am the proud owner of a hand plane and need a truely sharp edge to plane hardwood end grain.
So I think what I need is a honing guide to give me the perfect edge (if not please offer suggestions).
This then leads to the big question which one and why?
Having not used one I don't know what to look for, whats handy, whats a gimmic, ....... I need SHARP tools.

So please relpy, and thank you in advance

Rocker
28th January 2004, 02:50 PM
I have three different honing guides, Carbatec MJ-817 $12, Veritas sharpening system US$34.95 from Lee Valley, and the Stanley honing guide $39.90 from Timbecon. I find I only use the $12 one from Carbatec. It is not perfect, but I find it works better than the other more expensive honing guides. I have not tried the Carbatec CSG-21.

silentC
28th January 2004, 03:04 PM
I made mine from a bit of 4x2 hardwood: http://www3.telus.net/BrentBeach/Sharpen/jig.html

Wood Borer
28th January 2004, 03:16 PM
Dave,

I have a Veritas and a Stanley. I only use the Veritas although I am trying to wean myself off it and do it by hand. OK so far doing it by hand with chisels but I pike out with the plane blades.

If you would like to try the Veritas on a waterstone please let me know.

I don't usually let others use my gear but for you ..... well you are getting into handtools so you must be OK.

- Wood Borer

DaveInOz
28th January 2004, 03:50 PM
Thanks All

So it looks like the Carba tec, then Veritas then stanley for the tailor mades ...

Mr Borer
I wouldn't dare touch your gear I'd be petrified of stuffing something up. (my rule is: Don't borrow what you can't afford to replace) But I do appreciate the offer. :)

derekcohen
28th January 2004, 04:56 PM
Dave

The Veritas system comprises 2 parts, the honing guide and the bevel angle set. It is the best on the market, not perfect, but used correctly will be all you will ever need. I have used one for a few years now.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Dean
28th January 2004, 05:17 PM
I also have the $12 Carbatec guide. It's basic, but it works for me.
There is a limit to the width of blade that it can hold though, but great for chisels and small plane blades.

Ben from Vic.
28th January 2004, 05:23 PM
Dave,

I have the Veritas, and would recomend that.

I have the $12 job from Carbatec, and my main complaint was that the roller on the bottom was to narrow for small chisels, making it prone to tipping over a little with out your knowing it.

So, I bought the Veritas. I have no complaints with it.

Ben :D

Wood Borer
28th January 2004, 05:34 PM
Dave,

Damn, I thought I was going to get a new set of stones and honing guide at your expense!

Dave the offer is still there, it will give you an opportunity to see and drive what you are considering buying. If you are really nervous about using my equipment, you can watch me use it.

It’s up to you.

- Wood Borer

Paul O'H. Ingersoll Canad
29th January 2004, 12:33 AM
I use the Veritas and have had good results.
I came across a pic of a " richard Kell " guide . it looks interesting, the supplier sells it to dealers only
Guide (http://www.europeanhandtools.ca/Richard_Kell_Honing_Guide_wide.htm)
The supplier is www. europeanhandtools.ca
paul

DarrylF
29th January 2004, 06:05 AM
I have the Carbatec and the Stanley guides. I actually like the Stanley better - it handles even small chisels and spokeshave blades, and has an angle setting guide built in. The Carbatec doesn't have the guide, and can only really do full size plane blades and chisels.

You can get the Stanley guide in a set with a double sided oilstone and honing oil for around $33 at Bunnies. Good value.

There's another recent thread here that talks about final finishing on buffing wheels, scary sharp etc - take a look if you want REALLY sharp.

Sprog
29th January 2004, 11:23 PM
Timbecon also have one for $24, it has a wider wheel then the $12 version

Timbecon Sharpening Jig (http://www.timbecon.com.au/productsdetail.asp?sectid=12557&parentid=12480&prodid=27608)

Tankstand
30th January 2004, 12:41 AM
I just fell in love with the jig Les Miller showed us at the WWW show, two blocks of wood with a 30 degree angle which act as sleds with a board screwed to each that spans the width of your stone, sit the blade on the stone, hold the blade with both hands and go for it! I found a piece of plate glass for my jig to ride up and down on. I glued blocks of wood to the glass to keep the stone in position. Thank you very much Les! Simple and cheap!:D

derekcohen
30th January 2004, 12:54 AM
Mark

I saw a jig like that a few years ago in a copy of FWW. I thought then that it would work well for SS since sandpaper is flat and level. However, while stones are flat they are less likely to be level. Hence I could not imagine that the sled angle (be it 25 or 30 degrees) will be kept constant on a stone. Is this not the case?

Regards from Perth

Derek

Tankstand
30th January 2004, 04:54 AM
Derek,
You are correct, the stones two working faces must be parallel to each other for Les's idea to work. I keep a new stone aside for honing and where I work I can rework my stones.

DaveInOz
30th January 2004, 10:01 AM
Thanks all,

I looked at the carba tec, supertool and some other generic chineese brand (all the same) and bearing in mind what Ben said dismissed them due the narrow wheel and my narrow chisels etc.
I priced but couldn't look at the Veritas - too expensive.
The stanley finaly got the nod because it was:
a/ reasonably priced at $55
b/ well equipt with a wide roller
c/ available

I tried it out on the eze lap followed by 1200 w/d, first time I've ever seen the wire edge!
I followed the existing bevels which seemed to be 30 ish on the planes and 25-30 on my chisels, they all shave my arm now (with some scraping/pulling of the hair)

The only trouble I had was getting the irons straight in the guide. I resorted to best by eye, few strokes then check for even honing. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Due to the side clamping action this would not be a problem on the cheaper modles, but they would still rock side to side.

Thanks again for all your help it is nice to buy with some knowledge and confidence.

Rocker
30th January 2004, 11:42 AM
Originally posted by DaveInOz

The only trouble I had was getting the irons straight in the guide. I resorted to best by eye, few strokes then check for even honing. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Due to the side clamping action this would not be a problem on the cheaper modles, but they would still rock side to side.

Dave,

This is the reason that I prefer the $12 Carbatec honing guide. I do not have any problem with the narrow wheel; in fact I think it is an advantage to be able to tilt a chisel slightly to one side or the other, if the micro-bevel is slightly uneven. But I find that it is easy enough to avoid unwanted side-to-side rocking on the narrow wheel.

Rocker