PDA

View Full Version : Table Saw

top thumb
28th January 2004, 09:56 PM
Just wondering if any one has bought a new table saw lately
i am just about to trade the triton in on something a bit stronger
i have looked at delta trade,the new jet table saw,carbatech saw benches,kitty ect ect i want to spend around $2500 i also dont want something that ways a ton.

Grunt
28th January 2004, 10:20 PM
I just bought a Carba-Tec TSC-10HB for $1625 delivered. I haven't actually turned it on yet as I've had to get an electician out to install 15 amp power (amongst other things) which also costs me around $1600. I've set it up and got it all square. Looks a real treat. It weighs 180KG.

Carba-Tec has a bigger brother of this saw MBS-300 and it weighs over 300Kg. The price in the catalogue is $2795 but you should be able to haggle.

Every post I've read about the above two saws have been positive.

Generally, heavy is better. You can put them on wheels if you need to move them around the shop. Other than that, you should have a look at the 10" Delta Contractors saw.

Dean
28th January 2004, 11:41 PM
I also have the TSC-10HB and its been a real champion so far for the price.
If you decide to look at it, consider the $900-$1000 left over from your budget for all the important accessories you will need/want for it;

Tenoning Jig - $180-$200
Dado Set - $300-$400 (for a good one)
Perhaps an Incra Miter gauge as well for good accuracy.

rodm
29th January 2004, 12:01 AM
I have just purchased the TSC-10HB and like Grunt I have not put it through it's paces yet. IMHO I thought it was the best value for that range of cabinet saw.
The Jet has a very strong following so you may want to do a search on this forum for info. This thread is a bit weighted by the TSC-10HB but that may be for good reason.
Like you I started with Triton gear moved to a 10 inch contractor's saw (~$850) and now the TSC-10HB. I'm not an expert but the difference in quality is worth the extra bucks. My BIL has the MBS300 12 inch with the sliding table and it is also a great machine. I didn't go for this saw as the extra space it takes up was a problem for me. I have a number of blades for the ten inch so I didn't want to replace those. A point to note is that the MBS 300 has to have an adapter to use a dado set. The standard spindle is too short to take a set of blades.
Dean is on the right track about accessories and don't forget it doesn't come with a blade and if you haven't got a dust extractor then it could be worth considering.

nic
29th January 2004, 09:22 AM
Hi bought a 10" contractors saw from Leda Machinery,
It has a proper beismeyer style fence, and I'm very happy with it:
Accuracy is perfect, it has way more grunt than I need (using a good blade will cut through anything)
I also like the blade guard that can stay down when you tilt the blade.
I got rid of the stand and built my own stand with better dust extraction and plenty of room to store blades and other bit'n pieces.

Cost: $1100
I also got:
Freud combination blade $70
Incra Miter 1000 SE $170
Freud 8" Dado blade $100

Cheers

Nic

Dewy
3rd February 2004, 06:44 AM
I didn't realise the German made Kity was availible in Australia. In UK Kity is getting as rare as rocking horse droppings.
Kity went into liquidation Jan 5th but the Stayer Spa of Italy are trying to continue the sale of Kity products.
http://www.kityuk.com gives details of the court sitting since Sept 2003

nic
3rd February 2004, 09:18 AM
Hi Dewy

Kitty is made in France, Strasbourg is close to the border but is still in France :-)

Cheers

Nic

Dewy
3rd February 2004, 10:01 AM
I need to learn more geography ;)
Not that it matters what country Kity is in. You can still buy the machines but parts are almost impossible right now. I wanted a Kity 419 with sliding carriage & extension table. The 419 is no problem but all supplies of the carriages & tables have been unavailible for months. Websites selling Kity machines & accessories have been removing photos of most Kity items. Grrrrrr
I'll have to get an Electra Beckum now. Most UK woodworkers prefer the Sheppach but its not to my taste.

nic
3rd February 2004, 10:11 AM
Dewy

Can you get the Chinese made american copies of tools in the UK ?
In Oz they are all over the place and quite cheap too compared to the Kitty stuff.

Nic

TOMARTOM
3rd February 2004, 10:31 AM
I am not sure of the suitability of the Kity machines for atachments such as a dado blade, as I have been told that dado blades are not allowed to be fitted to saws in the EU, but maybee Kity acomodaated models, able to be fitted with dado blades for markets outside the EU.
I still have a 30 year old Durden, which I would love to replace with another saw, probably with a delta contractors saw...someday.

regards
Tony

Dewy
3rd February 2004, 10:40 AM
Many tools here are made in China. No problem unless they sell fake good quality tools.
Many are the stories of Makita or DeWalt tools sold cheaply from the back of a van then after a few uses you realise your hard earned cash has been wasted. :(
Its far better to buy tools from reputable dealers who often discount kit sold online.
Most in the building trade buy from Screwfix direct who usually deliver the next day to anywhere on the mainland.
A few months ago they introduced a small radial arm drill for £100.
Last month it was still that price but only £50 for online sales.
Needless to say one is now in my workshop (garage) ;)

nic
3rd February 2004, 10:51 AM
Dewy

I was refering to the cast iron machines (table saws, jointers ... )!!
Not the hand tools, which I wouldn't touch with a 10ft pole.
Most dealers here have their own brand of equipment that are copies of Delta, Power matic or Jet machines. Probably made in the same factories too.

Cheers

Nic

Dewy
3rd February 2004, 11:09 AM
Unfortunately I don't know about them. Many dealers sell 'own brand' tools but I have only recently started getting involved in woodworking forums so don't know the origin of these tools. Many sell other makers tools under their own brand names but those tools are likely to come from other sources. Fortunately we have a workshop owner on the screwfix forum who is well respected & regularly tests tools as soon as they come into the dealers & they use his honest opinion. I find his knowlege invaluble

craigb
3rd February 2004, 11:50 AM
Purely as a matter of interest, which direction does the blade tilt on the TSC-10HB?

rodm
3rd February 2004, 01:04 PM
The TSC-10HB blade tilts to the right.